E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 330i needs new rear brake pads. I measured them with the special BMW tool and they are slightly above 3 mm. She has 112K miles on the car and had gotten new rotors and pads at 50k miles from the dealer. I measured the rear rotors and they are at 20.73 mm thickness. I remember seeing somewhere on this site that the recommended minimum thickness for rear rotors was 20.4 mm. So if I get the same OEM pads (Textar), is it safe to assume that the rotors will last for these second set of pads? Also, at what point does one need to consider replacing the parking brake shoes?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Check the condition of the rotors. If they are discolored, or there is increased wear along a small portion of the face, replacing them would better serve you in the chance that you need to do some emergency braking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I noticed when I was measuring the rotors that the bottom of the coil springs on each side had the paint coming off and were rusted. I think I will clean them off and repaint them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear Brakes on 330i

Well, my wife preferred new rotors so today I installed OEM rotors, pads, and sensor on the rear. I have seen it stated that there should be gentle breaking for the first 100 miles to wear off the coating on the rotors. Is there any other steps to take? Also, I guess I will need to check to see if the parking brake needs adjusted, correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.