E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tapping into the cigarette lighter power and ground, to hardwire a usb charger

( http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...2V%2BAuxiliary%2BPower%2BOutlet.jsp?locale=en )

and the wire they give looks like a 16 / 18 gauge wire but its only a few inches long.

the only wire i have laying around is a 22 gauge wire. if i solder and heatshrink the cables together and run it near the back of my center console maybe around 2 feet away, will i have any electrical problems?

22 gauge is pretty thin. im kind of scared of fires, heat, ect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From my experience, you should get the same sized wire. The bigger the wire the more transfer of electricity. Since the Usb charger does not carry a huge ohm load you don't want to go with a bigger cable because that cable will get VERY HOT and could potentially cause a fire. Also, be careful the cables are not pinched when you install them.

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You should not use a thinner cable. You could use two runs of 22AWG for each line. Doubling up to halve the current flowing in each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts