E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
is on da floor
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, squeeking and metal hitting metal thump/noise while driving over bumpy road's. I thought my RSM's were broken and the shock was moving around making the thumping noise/rattling. the squeeking is loud! i have no clue what it is, happen's over bumps. i have uuc sways and intrax spring's and new shock's all around but this has been happening before uuc sways and spring's and shocks. i changed both RSM's. im in the process of doing a diff swap and the subframe is 100% good, what can be the problem here. it's also coming from one wheel, passenger rear, do you guys think a control arm bushing is bad? you can hear the noise outside the car while im driving down a bumpy road. really embarassing coming from a bmw. the sound remind's me of a old car with chassi squeek's coming down the road.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
did you replace your shock mounts when you did your supension upgrade?? if not, then they can be worn out and thus the noise. i had noisy rear suspensions a while ago when going over bumps. i replaced my shock mounts and now the car is quiet like new!! :woot:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would check 3 things.

1. re-grease your swaybar bushings, use plumber's tape to wrap the sway bar right around the area where the bushings go over and cover that area with plenty of lubricant/grease. you need to do this about once a year

2. check the bolts on your swaybar endlinks, they may be loose, and rattle when you go over speed bumps.

3. don't want to jinx you, but check your rear subframe. it's a notorious problem on the older E46's, mostly 323's and 328's, but check yours just in case.

good luck. mine squeaks/rattles/clunks like mad right now too, it really sucks. hopefully it'll go away after my coilovers are finally installed

·
Registered
349 Posts
1. re-grease your swaybar bushings, use plumber's tape to wrap the sway bar right around the area where the bushings go over and cover that area with plenty of lubricant/grease. you need to do this about once a year
2. check the bolts on your swaybar endlinks, they may be loose, and rattle when you go over speed bumps.
3. don't want to jinx you, but check your rear subframe. it's a notorious problem on the older E46's, mostly 323's and 328's, but check yours just in case
I totally second you on these recomendations. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts