BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. Am a glutton for punishment. Am doing a major PM on my 2000 328i (130K miles) Last night changed the CVV valve and all hoses, not a fun job. Today doing a full cooling system rebuild. After 10 years none of these hoses want to separate, but to the question.

I was planning on changing everything under the hood that circulated coolant as to eliminate any cooling system issues for the rest of the car's life (never had any yet and want to keep it that way). There is one hose on the back of the engine that goes to the heater control valve. I can barely see the engine end of the hose with a mirror, certainly can't reach it. Am I correct you need to pull the intake to get to this hose? Unless the experts can tell me otherwise, everything will be replaced except for that one hose.

Just as an observation all the hoses except one seem to still be in good shape. The hose that connects to the bottom of the expansion tank looks funky as the common PS fluid leak was dripping on the hose and it looks deteriorated. Thinking of making some kind of shield.

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
I gave up on that hose too, buddy...from the rear center of engine to heater valve...still have it sitting in my garage!

I know a mechanic would just get in there...unclip it and get it on...and next time I'm in that neighborhood, I'm going in...but when I did mine stuff...sounds about the same as you...did ccv, but also rad, tb,icv, ofh gasket...and was beat and didn't want to run into an issue.

Know that doesn't help at all other than to let you know you're not alone...and I think very few of us here have done any heating/cooling hoses...but hope the guy/gal that did do it is here, reading, and has the trick!

In my mind after I gave up on it...figured I could just unclip the sucker and clip on the new one without disassembling more...if I had only been brave enough!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just did my CCV too, so I hear ya. I don't want to have to do that again ANYTIME soon. Combined it took me at least 8 hours and multiple rounds of swearing and cursing my car's existence. It was the winterized version too... so... yea... putting everything back together was much worse than it could have been w/the regular unit.

In the end it was more the assembly that tested my patience. Tear down is my friend.

My hoses were brittle too and I broke or cut nearly everyone of them off (they were being replaced anyways).

Not sure if you're doing this in your overhaul; but you might want to inspect and or replace your idlers/pulleys/tensioners/belts since you'll be in the area. If you haven't got the hydraulic kit then I'd recommend upgrading to that now rather than later. The major bonus from this is that you'll be preventing catastophic roadside breakdown (this happened to me in Banff, AB and I paid a small fortune and wasted 3 days of a vacation fixing it).

If you don't feel like replacing, or have recently, give everything a good inspection just to be sure.

As far as your rear coolant line goes: if it checks out OK, then just leave it until the next time you go see a mech and have them take care of it. Obviously it'll cost you some $$$ but if your like me, you'd rather have the peace of mind knowing everything that can be replaced has been.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave up on that hose too, buddy...from the rear center of engine to heater valve...still have it sitting in my garage!

I know a mechanic would just get in there...unclip it and get it on
Well I too now have that hose sitting in the garage. Unless there are some special tools (including a fiber optic video camera) don't see this as an easy job even for a professional. After 10 years all the plastic hose fittings acted like they were welded on. Actually the hoses to the heater core held with clamps came off the easiest.

This was full rebuild and did include replacing the pulleys.

I will be writing up the things I learned now, it may be helpful to others.

(Car is running without issues. Started right up!):thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts