BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awesome subwoofer in my M3 Cab!!

Finally got the car back today with new custom subwoofer installation. It sounds awesome, even with the top down!!!! Installer removed HK sub, ski door/bag and interior center rest. Replaced with custom enclosure, 8" kicker solo baric and 500w Kicker amp. Best part is, I retained allmost all trunk space. I decided to stick with the supplied speaker grille (a bit gaudy), but I could have gone with a stealth cover if I wanted to. A gain control remote dial was mounted just behind the cupholders. Every other part of the system remains stock, and all stock pieces were removed unaltered and can be re-installed later. I sat in the back of the car just to see how it feels, and it didn't affect the seating position.

Follow this link for some photos:

http://photos.e46fanatics.com/showg...cat=500&thumb=1

I'll have detailed install pics in a couple days, if anyone's interested. I tell ya, this thing really thumps.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,194 Posts
so u lost the fold down armrest entirely? i would have wanted to keep it, now anyone can see inside that you have an audio setup, just by looking inside!

i like it tho :pimpin:, must be loud as hell being right there in ur back seat practically :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
8" woofer...you call that a woofer ;)

back in my days we dropped 15s or 18s in our trunks :)

·
like ma bell, i got the...
1,233 Posts
BigWorm said:

many 8's and 10's out displace 12's, 15's, and in some cases 18's of yesteryear.

the solobaric is not an example though, far too little throw. however, with its square cone it emulates the surface area of a 10. it should pack a good punch in an M3.

me? i'll be going with dual JL 8w7's, maybe ED 8A's. IB in custom glassed mounts using the existing 6x9 holes in the rear deck.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,702 Posts
DId you lose the middel removable padding? or can you still put it back?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
simsima325 said:
so u lost the fold down armrest entirely? i would have wanted to keep it, now anyone can see inside that you have an audio setup, just by looking inside!

i like it tho :pimpin:, must be loud as hell being right there in ur back seat practically :D
It wasn't a fold down armrest. When you have ski passthrough, it is a removable cushion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BigWorm said:

I didn't want it in my trunk. I wanted it in my interior. You try getting something bigger than an 8" woofer into a convertible interior.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lilherc79 said:
DId you lose the middel removable padding? or can you still put it back?
I have the padding. It can be re-installed if I remove the subwoofer. I can't place it there right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gixxer_kidd said:
very nice a clean install. great job:thumbup:
Thanks, I appreciate that. My installer really went out of his way to do it right. He's a real car guy. It shows in his work.

·
Town Clown
15,075 Posts
RE: Awesome Subwoofer in my M3 Cab!

Not sure why the post is closed:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120212

Just wanted to say 'thanks' for posting. I've been looking for months for something like that for my cabrio. I don't want to sacrifice much trunk space, and just want to add a a little oomph.

I was looking at the Comp VR (for cost reasons), but I may have to suck it up to do the Solobaric. I like the look of the square setup. It's too bad a 10" wouldn't fit in the ski pass.

Looks good!

·
Pwner
327 Posts
hmm, i dont know why its closed. i want to say thanks also for posting the pics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mtnbound said:
Not sure why the post is closed:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120212

I was looking at the Comp VR (for cost reasons), but I may have to suck it up to do the Solobaric. I like the look of the square setup. It's too bad a 10" wouldn't fit in the ski pass.

Looks good!
Yeah, a ten incher would've been great, but it would also require a larger enclosure and loss of trunk space. The 8" was an ideal compromise and needed very little space for enclosure. Something like .9 cubic foot box.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts