E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some threads where people have successfully enabled RDA TPMS (monitoring via wheel speed detection, vice actual pressure sensors) on RWD cars. From what I can tell, if the MK60 system is of a certain minimum SW coding index, the option can be enabled. The correct center stack button to re-initialize the system is also installed.

Is this same mod possible using the Bosch DSC 5.7 system on our XIs? I can't find any info on it. The 2004 touring owner's manual does have a section describing the function. RealOEM shows a version of the switch pack for the euro 330xi which has the tire monitor button, but no HDC button. Not sure if the combination with both exists.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think so, there isn't an Option in NCSexpert and there is a small white box that needs to be retrofitted for RPA on the Xi.
I just did it to mine (US model). Maybe the early models had a different system, but I have the Bosch 5.7 DSC III and it was in NCS expert/dummy. Just need to figure out the interior reset button now.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I just did it to mine (US model). Maybe the early models had a different system, but I have the Bosch 5.7 DSC III and it was in NCS expert/dummy. Just need to figure out the interior reset button now.
So, i just got the latest CI19 coding Index DSC5.7 and there is no Option to activate RPA!
Fortunally i also bought a RPA module to retrofit it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The abbreviations confuse me, but mine is the RDC/RDKS system. Nothing in the actual DSC module coding, but I activated everything in the instrument cluster module. Here’s the screenshots.
I got my interior button strip (with TPMS button) and the DSC module from an 03 330xi, but when I went to swap my module I checked and it’s the same part number so I kept mine.
I still haven’t gotten the reset button wired up, but the cluster light comes on red then orange then goes out when I turn my car on.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Thats not going to work as your DSC needs to send the appropiate signal, and it can't do that because there is no routine inside to check the tire diameter and calculate pressure.

If you want run flat protection in a E46 AWD you need a special module called DWS. It's housed in a similar box like the EWS unit and it needs to be mounted behind the glove box.
  • RPA: runflat protection by using algorithms in the DSC unit
  • RDKS: runflat protection by actual tire pressure sensors
I very much prefere the RPA style approach.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, i just got the latest CI19 coding Index DSC5.7 and there is no Option to activate RPA!
Fortunally i also bought a RPA module to retrofit it.
Thats not going to work as your DSC needs to send the appropiate signal, and it can't do that because there is no routine inside to check the tire diameter and calculate pressure.

If you want run flat protection in a E46 AWD you need a special module called DWS. It's housed in a similar box like the EWS unit and it needs to be mounted behind the glove box.
  • RPA: runflat protection by using algorithms in the DSC unit
  • RDKS: runflat protection by actual tire pressure sensors
I very much prefere the RPA style approach.
I can’t find a definitive answer, so you may be right. However, I have a friend that used to own a 330xi with tpms, and he definitely didn’t have sensors, so he did have the RPA system. It was also a 2003.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As much as i had prefered being wrong, there seems no indication it can just be coded in a xi. Even the WDS says RPA is only available with the additional DWS module up to 2004.
That’s interesting. I’ll be going to the junkyard 330xi that I pulled the module/button from to see if I can find that behind the glovebox. If that’s the case, do you just install then code/activate with ncs? I appreciate this info!!

By chance, does the WDS you have show which pin the reset button goes to on the DSC module connector? I think it’s pin 30, but would like to verify.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It goes to Pin 14 on the additional DWS module. Unfortunally i can't upload Screenshots by Smartphone right now.
Awesome, thank you! Also just stumbled across this post: XI Retrofit RPA.
Sorry for all the questions! So I need to install the DWS module, run the button wire to DWS pin 14, then connect four wires from the DWS to DSC module? Happen to know these pins? OP never followed up on that post. Then after that is just the coding and it’s done?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts