BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have this rattle in my car that just recently developed and occurs whether the top is up or down. I've ripped everything out of the trunk and the rattle persists. It sounds like plastic to plastic or metal to plastic from the rear, usually the rear right. It's almost a constant rattle, and doesn't really seem to be suspension related...

I've tried removing, inspecting, and retightening the rear shock mounts (they're only 5k old), lubing said shock mounts, removing everything from the trunk, driving with convertible lid up to see if it made a difference (it didn't), greasing all metal cord guides, lubricating top joints, and crawling under the looking for loose bolts.

I'm convinced its the folding luggage compartment in the trunk making this racket but i'm not so sure what to do about it? when I tap on it it makes what appears to be the exact same noise. Any tips to quiet it down?? I'm quickly going crazy during my commute... then again maybe I should just sell it and get a comfy, reliable, lexus...

·
Sofa-king-what
1,943 Posts
headrest retain srpings? (put some foam in there)
check rear antiroll cover plate (behind the back part of the seat) sometimes those nuts got loose and here's the noise...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm okay I'll have to check both of those when I get off of work. I also found that some of the nuts that hold the metal top guide onto the top cover where missing... so I ordered nuts and am hoping they didn't fall back in the quarter panel. I'm planning on fishing around with a magnet for them. Also I'm apparently missing and anti rattle clip on my brake caliper on that side so that's ordered as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No dice on either of those - Rattle is still there... Getting new rear shock mounts delivered to see if that'll fix it even though they're brand new...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts