E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever it rains, for some reason the floors of my backseat get soaking wet.
The carpet and the floor mats. This past two weeks it rained nonstop, and now all of carpets are wet. I thought it wasn't a big deal, but now when I turn on my car, my electrics don't work. I can drive, but nothing on my dashboard works. Speedometer doesn't move, shows I have no gas, blinkers don't work either.
And to top it all off, my navi system/music won't turn on, and my side mirrors don't move when in reverse like usual.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS?!?!

I'm assuming the rain leaked into the wires and the system had a shortage?
But if anyone knows specifically or approximately what it's caused by please let me know so I don't waste anymore time.
THANK YOU a lot in advance :)

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,969 Posts
First, I'd have car out of rain with windows down so she can dry out.

Second, on where it's leaking from...many possible places...

That all your carpets are wet, might just mean so much water than it migrated from front to back...maybe back to front if you were parked downhill.

Search 'water on floor,' 'rain leaking into car,' 'wet carpets' and you'll find the many threads on this...

vapor barriers are implicated, especially if you know you've done window regulators recently...drains need to be cleaned out periodically, and if you didn't know you had door, sunroof, trunk, and hood drains...drains in the bottom of rocker panels need to be clear for the drains from a,b,and c pillars to drain...remove leaves by hood plungers...there's a drain there...drain under cabin air filter...if windshield cowl is cracked, water can get into car (and I don't mean that if the junction between window and cowl is nasty...that's fine...it's when there's a crack beneath in the hard plastic itself that you can get a leak--I had that)

Search, clean, and then test with a friend squirting your car while you get inside looking for the source...you could do that first, but might be hard to tell if all your carpets are wet still...but suppose you could try. No hose? Take a friend with you to local 'high pressure car wash' booth.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,969 Posts
If beestinger leak, then you'd see dripping on rear package shelf...and if so...$1 fix--just by searching 'beestinger' and 'Danco'--there's an 0-ring (I think #27) that fits perfectly.

Open up doors, look inside bottom corner of door...1" in and 1" up from bottom...you'll feel little bump...look up into it...that's a door drain...and you need them to drain...coz water can collect in them and push up and through the inside door panel.

So stick toothpick or something to clear out drains if plugged...

Ah, open door, spray with hose and see if it comes through on the inside.

HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much! I will check all of that right away!
But, would those leaks cause all the electrical problems? Because the carpets have been getting wet for a while now, the electrical problems started today..

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,969 Posts
Thank you all so much! I will check all of that right away!
But, would those leaks cause all the electrical problems? Because the carpets have been getting wet for a while now, the electrical problems started today..
I sort of assumed all the electrical issues were water related...they might not be, but probably are is the best I can guess.

Since not just your carpets are wet, but your floor mats too, I suspect many wires running from the back to the front have been submerged in water.

You know, if you haven't already, use a wet/dry vac to suck up the water through the carpeting and that should speed up the drying. I hope you have a dry place to keep the car while she dries...maybe put some of those bags of desiccant in the car too.

I doubt all the connections that are under carpeting take to water like those in the engine bay do...so it might also be that even after drying, you'd have some issues...in which case you'll need to get to connections and clean them with electrical cleaner...and plug and unplug them a few times to clean off any corrosion they might have acquired.

Almost all the systems you mentioned would have a path from back to front and I'm assuming would be under the carpeting somewhere, but I don't know where exactly...nor how to get to them...but guys string wires here all the time...if you need to know...get to the forum where they discuss sound systems...they'd know.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts