BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting random emergency screen on the nav in a 2005 330Ci convertible ZHP. When it happens, it locks the bluetooth connected phone out from making calls for a few minutes and the red light above the phone and CD eject button lights up.

Any thoughts or experience with same?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
I think it’s time to take your car to a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers. The shop needs to have all of the proprietary BMW software to scan the various modules. But first, how old is the battery. Do you live in a cold climate like Minnesota? If so, have your battery tested. Why? These cars are rolling computers and whacky voltages cause whacky issues. Next, google “BMW E46 hidden OBC functions.” Test #9 shows the voltage as seen by the computer. Check and report back the voltage when the:
- ignition is in the run position with the engine off
- engine is idling
- engine is revving at 2000rpm.

To find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers try www.bimrs.org.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is less than a year old. I live in Atlanta, so cold weather is not normally a problem. We just had our first light frost of the year last week. I will perform test #9 tonight and report back. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The results of test #9 are:
Ignition - 12.2
Running at idle - 13.9 to 14.0
At 2000 RPM - 14.0 to 14.1

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
It's behind the driver side trunk carpet. I think you can access the plug without removing all of the nav stuff. Or maybe you can even just pull the fuse to it as a test.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's behind the driver side trunk carpet. I think you can access the plug without removing all of the nav stuff. Or maybe you can even just pull the fuse to it as a test.
Yeah, I was wondering about the fuse too.

I am seriously thinking about an upgrade to the stereo, maybe the new Avant 4. I assume this would remove the BMW assist from the system and keep the new head unit from going wonky.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the carpet out of the trunk on the driver side. Not sure which plug is for the BMW assist. Any suggestions or experience?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts