BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time actually posting but i've been lurking for a little while now.

I've searched the forum but i cant seem to find clarification as to which clips are used for the gutter moulding.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ET37&mospid=47720&btnr=51_3267&hg=51&fg=20***91;/URL]

In the above link i need to know whether its part #10 or #16 which is holding it all on. I'm thinking that it could also be part #14 but not sure.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

~Dom

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
#14 hold the entire gutter on the car except for the last three on the quarter panel. Those three you cannot buy separate, you have to buy the entire molding, and you also can't buy just the small curved part of the molding either.

Sent from my DROIDX using BimmerApp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#14 hold the entire gutter on the car except for the last three on the quarter panel. Those three you cannot buy separate, you have to buy the entire molding, and you also can't buy just the small curved part of the molding either.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. :thumbsup:
Luckily i only need to re-align the longer piece so the curved section can stay as is. =)
Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are 15 clips on either side holding the moulding in, right?

Many thanks again,

~Dom

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Be careful of the last three clips, they tend to break off the molding. All three are different, if they come off, note where they go so you glue them back on.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Be careful of the last three clips, they tend to break off the molding. All three are different, if they come off, note where they go so you glue them back on.

If you have to glue them back on (like I did) I'll lend a tip that is working for me. I used Gorilla glue for the white clips that attach to the gutter and it has held for the last couple of months. So far so good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is old thread, sorry about that.

Ain't it so that #14 is the car end clamp? I mean the clamp where trim should click in? I bought few clamps more because my "end trim" has fell off.

Then I realized that I need parts for the trim also. But is it so that these clamps that are attached to trim, can't be bought separately? I mean the three marked clamps:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Ain't it so that #14 is the car end clamp? I mean the clamp where trim should click in? I bought few clamps more because my "end trim" has fell off.

Then I realized that I need parts for the trim also. But is it so that these clamps that are attached to trim, can't be bought separately? I mean the three marked clamps:

If those are missing there really isnt much you can do to reattach the trim properly. You will either have to fabricate something or buy a whole new trim piece $$$

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, but how do you take this trim off? Start at the front and start gently pulling it off? I have some shadowline vinyl to install and I'd rather do it off the car than on it...

·
Registered
3 Posts

zenitti - any luck with this?

I have the same issue, the clamps attached to the trim have fallen off. 2 are missing. I'd prefer not to shell out $150 for a whole new trim piece...

·
Registered
39 Posts
zenitti - any luck with this?

I have the same issue, the clamps attached to the trim have fallen off. 2 are missing. I'd prefer not to shell out $150 for a whole new trim piece...
Unfortunately I did not found any permanent solution. Actually I used some outdoor silicone to attach the trim. I rarely used back doors while I had the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I'm
Having an issue trying to find what clip I need to secure this molding to the body. The clips that are supposed to be the ones to work. (Item #14 in the real OEM chart in post 1). The side that goes into the body seems to fit the but side that goes into the female side of the molding won't snap in. The clip has a post that won't allow it to push into the molding without being snapped/cut off. Should I actually be looking for item #10 in the chart?

I'm so confused right now. I had item number 14 and when I cut off the piece it looks to work but it wouldn't snap into place. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
i've noticed what happens is , if you have a sedan and don't use the rear doors often ,the rubber becomes stuck to the molding, then , when you open the door, bam, busted clips

my clips are busted and i could give a f

now, when i open rear doors , i keep my hand on the molding

1 - 14 of 14 Posts