E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help?

Currently i have a business radio fitted. Radio reception is fine unless I switch on rear demist n which case I lose all reception and just get loud static. I think it could be the antenna module on the c pillar or alternatively some form of earth failure but I wondered if anyone else had had the same experience and found the problem? Thanks for any and all hints:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
The radio frequency (RF) amp is in the left “C” pillar. You need to remove the interior cover and check the tightness and cleanliness of the RF coax connectors.

The cover is held in place by a single bolt and a couple of plastic rivets. Remove the reading light by gently prying it out. Remove the 10mm (?) bolt. Gently pry at the edges of the cover. Don’t be surprised if the cover breaks at place the plastic rivet is attached to the cover. Have some gorilla glue or 5 minute epoxy handy. Check the tightness of each RF coax connector. It should take a bit of effort to loosen each one. I’d just go ahead and remove them and then clean both side of each connection with an electric contact cleaner. Reassemble making sure all the RF connections are tight.

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts
Search there is a LOT of info on this and I believe there may have been a BMW Bulletin regarding this. Pretty much grounding and connection issues at the rear of the car as I recall.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,842 Posts
The radio frequency (RF) amp is in the left “C” pillar. You need to remove the interior cover and check the tightness and cleanliness of the RF coax connectors.

The cover is held in place by a single bolt and a couple of plastic rivets. Remove the reading light by gently prying it out. Remove the 10mm (?) bolt. Gently pry at the edges of the cover. Don’t be surprised if the cover breaks at place the plastic rivet is attached to the cover. Have some gorilla glue or 5 minute epoxy handy. Check the tightness of each RF coax connector. It should take a bit of effort to loosen each one. I’d just go ahead and remove them and then clean both side of each connection with an electric contact cleaner. Reassemble making sure all the RF connections are tight.
Very helpful post! I need to do this as my FM reception is distorted and my AM reception is nonexistent.

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I***8217;ve just laid the car up for winter - while I***8217;m laid up with a new hip but will go ahead with the advise given as soon as able. Thanks again

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts