BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is kind of another hush hush thing ( Parents don't know about it ) I was wondering...

We all have the 2 extra buttons on the steering wheel. One is for the cell phone and one is R/T thing. I don't have the car phone and I don't plan on getting it.

is it possible to use those buttons and hard wire them to maybe like change modes? IE.... FM1 to FM2 to CD ex...? with the stock head unit? Also could I use the other one hard wired to lets say.... My garage door / gate remote?

ok just one more question. I don't want it to be a phone or R/T. is there a part number for the Up and down arrows? the ones the radio channel uses? Because I think it would look pretty hot having 4 arrows rather than what’s there now.

I talked to audio shop tonight and they said no problem. But then I don't think they have any idea what kind of task that would be. Said 60 bucks to do it. What do you guys think?

·
blackonblack
270 Posts
that would be pretty sweet if you could get functionality from those buttons.

I would love to know if this works out.

sig.

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,354 Posts
That's a great idea, I'm going to talk to my local shops and see what they say too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it's worth, those buttons can be read over the i-bus. I am developing a custom MP3 player which will have a BMW interface, and even in my very early prototype I've been able to read back the R/T and phone buttons.

As to controlling the mode on the radio, I'm not sure.. It would depend on if there was an i-bus packet that you could send to the radio to make it change modes. There may be one hidden, but I am lacking technical documentation that is official. Anyone have any "ins" at BMW or Alpine?

-Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Prefect:

Do you have a webpage showing how to hook onto the i-bus? What connectors you use, where you connect, or how to decode the packets, etc? Not that I'll be doing that any time soon, but I was just curious and would enjoy reading about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts