E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
19,221 Posts
There are many sensor values that the DME considers when selecting the fan speed. The Electric Fan Guide I mentioned up in post #14 covers them all. Use INPA to view each of their live data to see if any are out of range. That will certainly prevent the fan from running.

·
Registered
BMW E46 Saloon Msport 320i 2004 Manual
62 Posts
As I'm writing, I'm diagnosing the car. When I clear the code I can turn on the efan with INPA. Still get these two codes. The fan would turn on at temp would stay between 86c-88c, I could turn the fan on with INPA to higher speeds. Once the temp started climbing above to 95c i could no longer active the fan and fan won't turn on. Those two codes stay on specialty 123 thermostat. Waiting for temp to go down, to see if I can activate the efan with INPA. Cooling water outlet temp is what the temperature sensor read, I believe.
Have you replaced the sensor on the LOWER radiator hose ? that is the sensor that activates the FAN.
The "box" on top of the fan is not an relay is the AUC, is the Auto Recirculation Control, it turns on and off the auto circulation of air if left on auto.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There are many sensor values that the DME considers when selecting the fan speed. The Electric Fan Guide I mentioned up in post #14 covers them all. Use INPA to view each of their live data to see if any are out of range. That will certainly prevent the fan from running.
Good info, unfortunately I don't have inpa. I guess I'm working from the process of elimination. Fan functions in on car and not the other...
So the connector that plugs into the fan sounds like a good sensable place to investigate. I've sprayed contact cleaner but I now give the area a visual maybe I'll see something broken...this area doesn't get much physical ware.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good info, unfortunately I don't have inpa. I guess I'm working from the process of elimination. Fan functions in on car and not the other...
So the connector that plugs into the fan sounds like a good sensable place to investigate. I've sprayed contact cleaner but I now give the area a visual maybe I'll see something broken...this area doesn't get much physical ware.

Are all the fuses okay ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The fan's "speed control" unit...tell me about this. I'm noticing that in a minute's time the fan comes on and off several times...thats a lot of work!
This is on the none effective e83.
Have a look at the "important links" in @Bali signature, look for the Electric Fan guide.
That will give you an overview of how the fan work and speaks with the DME and all the other sensors for the E46, that might apply to other models as well.
I understand that this might not be the answer you are looking for, but that document will give a lot of insight of how it works.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Have a look at the "important links" in @Bali signature, look for the Electric Fan guide.

I understand that this might not be the answer you are looking for, but that document will give a lot of insight of how it works.
I appreciate the assistance.
I wasn't clear...
Where is the unit located?
Is what I wanted to say.
BTW,,,I mostly use the phone when entering this site.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I appreciate the assistance.
I wasn't clear...
Where is the unit located?
Is what I wanted to say.
BTW,,,I mostly use the phone when entering this site.
It's located on the FAN, silver/blackbox on the fan. The other side of the connector, close to the middle of the fan.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Fan Experiment...
Keep in mind I have 3 of the above fans.
I have 2 cars both m54 , 3.0 , and with 220k+ miles...
While in idel mode....

Car#1 runs fans constantly
Car#2 (same fans!) Constantly at a stand still!

My neighbor who has the same car....his fan fluctuates...
I suspect his is the proper way the fan should operate.

From the info Bali posted a fan can be considered faulty if it continues to run or it doesn't run at all.
Only if the fan cuts off and on should it be considered in order?
Do you all agree?
But let me ask this question...
Can these BMWs be coded to run the fan constantly?
How is it two different cars can manifest 2 different fan faults? Three times each!
Get what I'm trying to say.
Oh! Speaking of faults...
Car 1 shows no fan fault
Car 2 shows fault code 279D
Neighbor's car...idk?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Have you replaced the sensor on the LOWER radiator hose ? that is the sensor that activates the FAN.
The "box" on top of the fan is not an relay is the AUC, is the Auto Recirculation Control, it turns on and off the auto circulation of air if left on auto.
Yes replace both already

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What live data am I supposed to look at. Can you post a picture of INPA with the screen of the live data.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fan Experiment...
Keep in mind I have 3 of the above fans.
I have 2 cars both m54 , 3.0 , and with 220k+ miles...
While in idel mode....

Car#1 runs fans constantly
Car#2 (same fans!) Constantly at a stand still!

My neighbor who has the same car....his fan fluctuates...
I suspect his is the proper way the fan should operate.

From the info Bali posted a fan can be considered faulty if it continues to run or it doesn't run at all.
Only if the fan cuts off and on should it be considered in order?
Do you all agree?
But let me ask this question...
Can these BMWs be coded to run the fan constantly?
How is it two different cars can manifest 2 different faults? Three times each!
Get what I'm trying to say.
I'm not an expert on this but there is a sensor on the AC system that can go bad and give false info making the car run the fans all the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What live data am I supposed to look at. Can you post a picture of INPA with the screen of the live data.
Did you downloaded the document mentioned by @Bali ?
In the doc you have a guide of what to look for.
You can also get the readings from the status menu after you selected your chassis and ECU.
I don't remember exactly if they are on the analog or digital menu.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Did you downloaded the document mentioned by @Bali ?
In the doc you have a guide of what to look for.
You can also get the readings from the status menu after you selected your chassis and ECU.
I don't remember exactly if they are on the analog or digital menu.
Yes. Testing out new efan. Is this the live data
Coolant temperature (sensor from engine) vs cooling water outlet stemperature( coolant radiator hose). What live data am I supposed to look at. What should be the temperature difference?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have great news. I couldn't be more happy. The new efan is turning on with no 125 code. Has turn on multiple times at idle cooling my engine several time. Scared to go for a drive lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not an expert on this fan issue, as I'm trying to learn more about it myself, especially if there are any differences between US and EU cars for how the fan runs.
The coolant outlet temperature is the one in the lower hose where you have the sensor that primary activates the fan.
I don't know how high or how low should be the difference between those, I have not been around BMW's for that long unfortunately.

Glad to see if that the test worked.

If the fan worked ( without any intervention from INPA ) when the car was static and at idle , it should be fine, I see no reason for it to not work while you are driving around.
Just keep an eye on things and keep looking at the OBC temperature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm not an expert on this fan issue, as I'm trying to learn more about it myself, especially if there are any differences between US and EU cars for how the fan runs.
The coolant outlet temperature is the one in the lower hose where you have the sensor that primary activates the fan.
I don't know how high or how low should be the difference between those, I have not been around BMW's for that long unfortunately.

Glad to see if that the test worked.

If the fan worked ( without any intervention from INPA ) when the car was static and at idle , it should be fine, I see no reason for it to not work while you are driving around.
Just keep an eye on things and keep looking at the OBC temperature.

Just drove it monitoring the temps. Temp stayed 94c-96c, the highest it would go was 98.5c at idle but not for long. Most of the time temps would stay 95c-96c.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just drove it monitoring the temps. Temp stayed 94c-96c, the highest it would go was 98.5c at idle but not for long. Most of the time temps would stay 95c-96c.
Glad to see that the issue has been solved with a new efan.
Those temps are relatively similar to mine here in UK.
Car goes up to 98 then drops back to 94-95.
Saw it getting to 99 only once and never again.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts