E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My radiator fan won't turn on. I tried to activate with INPA nothing. Got a new radiator fan from FCP euro (coolxpert), won't activate with INPA. I tried 12v directly to both fans nothing. On both fans check continuity brown (ground) and red(power), no continuity. I check resistance and I get a high number.
Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Peripheral

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
The electric fan (efan) gets power at all times. It’s commanded to run via the thin wire that runs from the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) to the efan. I’d check continuity of that wire. Also, check the ground side of the harness’s connector. If needs to be 0ohms to ground, using the engine as ground.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The electric fan (efan) gets power at all times. It’s commanded to run via the thin wire that runs from the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) to the efan. I’d check continuity of that wire. Also, check the ground side of the harness’s connector. If needs to be 0ohms to ground, using the engine as ground.
What is the resistance value from DME to fan wire (green black one)? I do have continuity

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to clear code in INPA to activate the efan. The fan turns on, then turns off in 5-10 seconds; both the new and old fan. Will be returning the new fan to FCP Euro. I doubt the fan is the issue or maybe it still is?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I drove the car today because it's just sitting in my apartment complex and the Manager is making a big deal because my tags are expired. I moved it to my In-laws and to my surprise the fan did turn on. Now I need to use INPA again to see it will activate it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still have not resolved the issue. Already replaced the temperature sensor, the relay that's on top of fan shroud still nothing. Fan will not turn on. Ac work and will turn on sometimes. Also getting code 123 thermostat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I'm writing, I'm diagnosing the car. When I clear the code I can turn on the efan with INPA. Still get these two codes. The fan would turn on at temp would stay between 86c-88c, I could turn the fan on with INPA to higher speeds. Once the temp started climbing above to 95c i could no longer active the fan and fan won't turn on. Those two codes stay on specialty 123 thermostat. Waiting for temp to go down, to see if I can activate the efan with INPA. Cooling water outlet temp is what the temperature sensor read, I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 e46 330i 5 Speed Manual
31 Posts
As I'm writing, I'm diagnosing the car. When I clear the code I can turn on the efan with INPA. Still get these two codes. The fan would turn on at temp would stay between 86c-88c, I could turn the fan on with INPA to higher speeds. Once the temp started climbing above to 95c i could no longer active the fan and fan won't turn on. Those two codes stay on specialty 123 thermostat. Waiting for temp to go down, to see if I can activate the efan with INPA. Cooling water outlet temp is what the temperature sensor read, I believe.
I am currently trying to diagnose the same issue as you. been very wet in my state for the past week so I've been avoiding getting all the readings off the connection and harness.

I'm about to wire in a manual fan switch this coming week after I figure out where this current problem is persisting from. Just changed my thermostat and immediately after that started dealing with my efan intermittently not working.

A few notes I can make, when my ac is on, and the car is set to 80 degrees Fahrenheit or above on half power or more my fan will continuously run. if I ever notice the car reach 102c I immediately turn the heat up and ac on and it cools down. don't know if im just allowing the hot air to escape through the heater core or if it's the ac auto turning on the fan.

Also noted that when getting in the car if I reply in the fan switch before starting the car my fan runs without the ac active and holds 97c.

But definitely a strange issue. I have not tried activating the fan through inpa as to not having a method of trying it. the fan does power up so I can only imagine it to be a software thing that wiring a manual switch would fix in my case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will be replacing thermostat. The wiring for the sensor was damaged. Why code 123 thermostat was happening. I don't that would fix my efan issue, but I still need to fix it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hit Important Links (below), then Electric Fan Guide.
That has everything needed to diagnose this.
Thank you. Helpfull
But again it's frustrating. Did everything. When the car is completely cold. I erased the codes. I can activate the efan with INPA at all speeds. 20 25 30 50 85 90. So my pwm signal works.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll try replacing the efan again.
Came across this. Same symptom my car is experiencing. I have done everything.

Yeah. It's definitely a soft fail.

I was finally able to tested fan speeds via INPA.
When it was cold and all ranges worked.
Once the car got warm, the fan wouldn't respond to INPA. Car would then begin to overheat.

I just bought a Behr. Hopefully, it'll last me more than 2-3 years as other members point out.

I'm guessing the soft fail fan caused a 3 yr old Behr radiator to bow out too. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Dealing with the same Fan issue here.
I have 2 e83s....the same fan works in one car and not the other.
I suspect a relay? Can't find any videos.
However, I don't hear the compressor coming on.
Could this be my problem?
I've checked and replaced everything known else.
I found this one video interesting it may address someone else's here fan non-functioning problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dealing with the same Fan issue here.
I have 2 e83s....the same fan works in one car and not the other.
I suspect a relay? Can't find any videos.
However, I don't hear the compressor coming on.
Could this be my problem?
I've checked and replaced everything known else.
I found this one video interesting it may address someone else's here fan non-functioning problem.

Nope. Again relay and cts have been replaced. I have tried everything. When the car is cold I can activate efan with INPA. When the car gets hot. I can't and I get code 125.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts