BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any company that makes a universal mounting bracket? I'm looking for one that sticks to the front windshield. Oh yeah, I have a Whistler detector that is a couple years old. Has anyone tried attatching it to the front dash? I was thinking velcro? Does it hinder it's sensitivity being lower?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I believe that for the most part radar detectors should be placed as high up as possible so that they can "see" out the front b/c cops shoot at the middle (license plate) of the car

4,239 Posts
///M3Matt said:
I believe that for the most part radar detectors should be placed as high up as possible so that they can "see" out the front b/c cops shoot at the middle (license plate) of the car
This is exactly right. You want your detector to have as much range as possible, and mounting it high up gives it a few hundred yards more ability to detect radar waves than mounting it on the dash. This is the difference between being aware of a radar threat in time versus making a forced donation to the local government.

Funny thing is, you can tell the "serious" detectors from the "consumer/TV guide/please-spoon-feed-me" brands. Serious detectors (like the V1) have the controls mounted directly on the front for good access when the detector is mounted up high where it should be. The "consumer" silly brands, basically designed for people that shop price or looks instead of real performance, have the controls mounted on top, as they typically expect their know-nothing customers to mount it worthlessly low.

Look at your own detector. If it matches the second category, you might as well use a tissue box with some reflectors on it instead of that $79 box of chips and transistors.

Forgive me if that explanation seemed a bit harsh or forceful. I really am a strong believer in "do it right, or don't do it at all" and I hate to see people think they are getting something accomplished when they do not have all the information about the subject at hand. In the end, ignorant application of a concept is much more harmful than ignoring it entirely. That goes for pretty much anything any of us do to our cars.

Beyond that, there are generic windshield mounts that have suction cups attached to an angled metal piece, and then use velcro to attach to the radar detector. Easiest place to find these is at Radio Shack or a chain electronics store that sells detectors.

- Rob

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,835 Posts
Damn Rob. Coming down hard on crappy radar detectors :eeps: Its all good because I know where you are coming from. I have a Beltronics detector that is coming up on a year and a half old and I've steadily been noticing more false alarms. not your typical errant signal but a full out screaching from the alarm signaling that a cop just fired the detector right at me at full blast even when I know no one is around.

V1 is on my list and I think that anyone who does their research will come down to roughly the same decision.:thumbup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
And if you want a more "steathly" install, consider hanging the detector from one of the sun visors vs. the windshield, where the suction cups are obvious. Only do this, however, if the detector's line of sight is below your windshield's tint, which will reduce the detector's effectiveness.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
i will post a pic of mine later but its right about the mirror so u cant tell at all its there just kinda blends in unless u look close

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Heres one from the outside.......windshield has some dust on it.......

BTW___ the BMW MOTORSPORT windshield sticker helps hide it:thumbup: :pimpin:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts