BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I know this topic has been discussed here many times before. I did do a search to find the answer but couldn't find the exact info I was looking for.

All DIYs about this tell you how to access the power wire for the Universal Remote in the top center console and tap into this for the radar detector power. However, none tell you what to do if you're already using this wire for... GASP!... the universal remote! I've thought of a couple possibilities but just need someone with more expert knowledge to tell me if these ideas will work or not.

1. It looks like the wire tap that comes with the V1 doesn't cut the wire. It just cuts the insulation and touches the wire. So is it possible to still tap into the universal remotes power wire and just turn off the radar detector when you want to use the remote?

2. If that first idea isn't possible, there's another bundle of wires that aren't being used. I believe they're for the cell phone microphone. Is it possible to use any of those wires? If so which ones?

And if those two ideas aren't possible I'd appreciate any other suggestions. I could just use the cigarette lighter adapter, but I'd rather have the clean look of the hard wire install.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
beluv said:
To start off, I know this topic has been discussed here many times before. I did do a search to find the answer but couldn't find the exact info I was looking for.

All DIYs about this tell you how to access the power wire for the Universal Remote in the top center console and tap into this for the radar detector power. However, none tell you what to do if you're already using this wire for... GASP!... the universal remote! I've thought of a couple possibilities but just need someone with more expert knowledge to tell me if these ideas will work or not.

1. It looks like the wire tap that comes with the V1 doesn't cut the wire. It just cuts the insulation and touches the wire. So is it possible to still tap into the universal remotes power wire and just turn off the radar detector when you want to use the remote?

2. If that first idea isn't possible, there's another bundle of wires that aren't being used. I believe they're for the cell phone microphone. Is it possible to use any of those wires? If so which ones?

And if those two ideas aren't possible I'd appreciate any other suggestions. I could just use the cigarette lighter adapter, but I'd rather have the clean look of the hard wire install.
You can still use that wire. I personally prefer to solder and insulate connections properly, but the tap they give you works fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the reply! I used that wire and both the V1 and universal remote work just fine. The universal remote even works when the V1 is turned on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's basically a garage door opener. But it can do some other stuff like turn on lights in your house so BMW gives it a fancy name.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts