BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone purchased and installed Racing Dynamics M54 headers? I feel like they might be misrepresented.. I feel as if they are re-branded eBay headers that have been substantially marked up.

https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+08+54+365.html - Found here

I have owned a couple e46's and this is by no means my first header job. I have have had experience with eBay headers in past years, and I was planning on purchasing a set; however, I went with the Racing Dynamics set because $600 seemed like a very reasonable price with a name like RD behind them. I was expecting the quality to match. That and it seems as though there are currently no eBay manufacturers producing cheapo M54 headers right now. Only M52..

So, I get them and I am immediately suspicious because they are identical to an eBay set I purchased in the past:

- Bright and shiny stainless steel
- Excessively long O2 sensor bungs
- Come with the same O2 sensor bung screw-in plugs
- Runners were only welded to the flanges on the exterior
- Flange ports and interior runner diameters are not precise and un-welded/smoothed
- 32 holes in the flanges
- Come with the same shitty gaskets the eBay headers come with

But whatever, I needed a set of headers so I wasn't going to bitch. All was fine and dandy during the install. The exhaust flanges were straight enough, and only took some prying to mate with my exhaust. My problem lies in the fact that the post-cat O2 bungs drive straight into the body and heat-shielding. :censor:.

Absolutely unacceptable for a set of headers claimed to be manufactured by a high quality domestic speed shop. Not to mention, after taxes and shipping, a near $700 set of headers. By the time I take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut and weld new O2 sensor bungs, I will have forked out a near grand on these.. I might has well have bought the Supersprint or AA headers at this point.

I feel conned. It is my recommendation that no one purchases these headers. It appears, to me, they're in the business of reselling Chinese components as their own premium hardware. I'm not expecting a resolution; however, I feel as though this is shitty business practice, and I'm passing on the info to the community.

I'll post pictures later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, what did Racing Dynamics have to say when you confronted them about it?
I haven't yet confronted them considering there's neither anything I expect to gain, nor do I have an argument.

"Hey guys, **** you for selling re-branded products for a premium price, that I still have on my car and don't plan on taking off/returning for refund. What are you going to do about this?"

The amount of work it takes to install them isn't worth it. There is also a difference I would have to pay for the next level up, which probably will equate to the shop fee for new bungs. And 10 hours of my own labor for taking off and putting on a new set... **** that.

So, confront them for what purpose? The purpose of this post is to warn others. Though perhaps I should give them a call for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Should have opted for Active Autowerke for that price - there secondary O2 bungs are a bit off but the overall installation and quality was pretty top notch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any serial numbers on the headers, or any other way to cross-check them as the same as eBay headers, or from the same source/region?
I never noticed any serial numbers on them. Their website lists the part number, but that might be an internal number? There were no papers or literature that came with them other than the order confirmation sheet. It was just the gaskets and headers.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,943 Posts
You do know that Racing Dynamics USA is NOT the real Racing Dynamic? The real Racing Dynamics is Racing Dynamics SPA and sold and marketed in the US as RDSport. I wouldn't buy anything from Racing Dynamics USA, nor would I trust them.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268267

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do know that Racing Dynamics USA is NOT the real Racing Dynamic? The real Racing Dynamics is Racing Dynamics SPA and sold and marketed in the US as RDSport. I wouldn't buy anything from Racing Dynamics USA, nor would I trust them.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268267
Well, this just pretty much clears everything up. Given their reputation, it looks likes its safe to say that I just spent $700 on some $100 headers. Sick.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
533 Posts
You should have gone with schmiedmann complete exhaust .headers and racing cats for about $700 .Supersprint copies I think and from a decent brand

·
Registered
Supercharged Titanium Silver 2005 330ci vert
204 Posts
This is exactly what I'm experiencing now. Verified fitment before purchasing, Scott at RD said they were a direct fit. Go to install and the bungs hit the under body. My first thought was they were Chinese headers being sold as higher quality headers. He played stupid and said they've sold all sorts of these with no problems. Looks like he lied to me more than once. They are a joke. This isn't the only post I've seen of people being robbed by this jerk.

A good thing about being retired at 57 is it gives me all the time in the world to write reviews and get the word out. The only reason I bought these over $120 ebay headers is these were supposed to fit correctly and AA were out of stock everywhere. I'm filing a class action lawsuit in the state of VA, so if more people on here are having this issue and want to be involved message me.

·
Registered
2001 330xi
717 Posts
I think you should try a cc chargeback if they don't give you a refund of their free will. They obviously copy the original company, trying to sell their cheap stuff as quality stuff.; which could be considered non-fair business practice etc. Try, maybe the cc company is on your side.
-fana

·
Registered
Supercharged Titanium Silver 2005 330ci vert
204 Posts
I'm going ahead with the suit. He'll end up paying all legal fees and costs and hopefully learn you can keep ripping people off and get away with it. That's how you deal with slugs like this. If I don't push it he'll just continue to screw people over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts