E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently emailed raceland to inquire on how their stuff is made and this is the response i got back. pretty interesting

Our
coil springs are chrome silicone wire and those are heat treated and
pre-blocked to prevent sagging. Phosphate coated to prevent rusting and
then powder coated. The springs are wound by ISRI. ISRI is the main
German coil spring supplier for the German automobile industry. Our
galvanized front struts are with self-adjusting shock absorber (gas
pressurized) and adjust themselves to your driving style.
just thought id throw this out there might clear the air a little bit.

·
Premium Member
18,808 Posts
i dont doubt the quality of the coils, its the shocks that im suspect about.
good stuff tho, thanks

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
:facepalm: That means nothing.. that's just the process for spring making. The question is, are the spring rates good for the car? Are they matched to the shocks? Are the shocks good? Are the welds good? etc. etc. etc. Raceland doesn't even have a shock dyno available.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
self adjusting shocks huh?

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have the raceland springs! and i live them! the quality is really good i was super suprised lol...its not to stiff! and the handeling is actually rather good expecially the fact i dont have a sway bar in the front. i recomment these to anyone that hasnt already spent 1200$+ on a suspention.

·
Registered
8,502 Posts
i have the raceland springs! and i live them! the quality is really good i was super suprised lol...its not to stiff! and the handeling is actually rather good expecially the fact i dont have a sway bar in the front. i recomment these to anyone that hasnt already spent 1200$+ on a suspention.
hmm..

·
Registered
534 Posts
i ment raceland coilovers

hmm..

Credible source? Not.

·
Registered
25,488 Posts
so i recently emailed raceland to inquire on how their stuff is made and this is the response i got back. pretty interesting

Our
coil springs are chrome silicone wire and those are heat treated and
pre-blocked to prevent sagging. Phosphate coated to prevent rusting and
then powder coated. The springs are wound by ISRI. ISRI is the main
German coil spring supplier for the German automobile industry. Our
galvanized front struts are with self-adjusting shock absorber (gas
pressurized) and adjust themselves to your driving style.
just thought id throw this out there might clear the air a little bit.
-Spring material sounds good, and for that type of material, they are always going to be heat treated, so repeating that feature is redundant.
-Phosphate coated also sounds good. If I remember correctly, that is what BMW does to the E46 chassis as rust prevention.
-Galvanized struts... That sounds a bit iffy, as I know depending on the process, can get either a pretty good, or very bad finish.
-Self adjusting... I call BS on that part. Involving stuff of that sort is complex, increasing chances of problems, and adds to cost significantly. Doing this properly is so expensive and difficult not many successful suspension companies use this.
-gas pressurized isn't anything special, OEM shocks on just about every car are gas pressurized.
-Also there is no mention of significant testing or design, nor motorsports or manufacturer involvement. Something companies like Ohlins, Bilstein, Sachs, and others can claim.

EDIT: I kinda wanted to say in before BMW_Matt, but too late.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
we need this gif enhanced

1 - 20 of 118 Posts