BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my buddy with his '06 VW GTI and I went out to wash our cars today - on the way back the highway was pretty deserted so we decided to push it a little from a 60mph roll. We both drop in third, wait for each other then nail the throttle. It was a really short run and lifted off at about 110, but our cars were dead even.

We rode in each others cars, and after riding in his it felt snappier in the lower end, but behaved similarly to mine in the mid range. Has anyone else here had experiences with these cars? We have about the same power, but he also gets most of his engine horse at 1800 RPM - my powerband is obviously higher. Anyway, fun story just wanted to share and wondering if there is anyone else out there with a similar story.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
You did this with your 330ci?

The 2.0T is no slouch, but bone stock it is not going to win dramatically. A simple software upgrade though, and no comparison.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this was with my 330ci.

I do hear that they make an incredible chip upgrade for the GTI that produces 60 more horse and I believe 70 some torque... perhaps more, not sure. I hear a lot of VW guys talk about it, but never really needed to look into it myself.

My friend debates between getting the software upgrade, or selling the car to get into the E46 world.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
yes. What your feeling in snappiness is probably due to MAYBE better gearing but probably a lighter/much sportier clutch and flywheel assembly. Also FWD cars=shorter drivetrain :craig: NIce run go e46ers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, most likely it does have a sportier clutch/flywheel - but I wonder, even if it does feel like it pulls harder; off the line I have better advantage of having RWD, I mean at full throttle 4000 RPM his car already shrieks the tires, I have a feeling I would be able to launch my car as he battles a burnout contest.

·
Banned
9,400 Posts
I agree, most likely it does have a sportier clutch/flywheel - but I wonder, even if it does feel like it pulls harder; off the line I have better advantage of having RWD, I mean at full throttle 4000 RPM his car already shrieks the tires, I have a feeling I would be able to launch my car as he battles a burnout contest.
from a dig youd probably pull a little.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yes this was with my 330ci.

I do hear that they make an incredible chip upgrade for the GTI that produces 60 more horse and I believe 70 some torque... perhaps more, not sure. I hear a lot of VW guys talk about it, but never really needed to look into it myself.

My friend debates between getting the software upgrade, or selling the car to get into the E46 world.
I have heard all these things do is raise the boost.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boost is so easy to play around with and gain power...

Makes me want to supercharge the 330. Maybe in spring I will consider the twin screw setup that is available.

·
Registered
21,360 Posts
one word: Torque, his torque comes on earlier than the 330Ci (max tq for 330 is reached at 3500RPM) so his car will feel quicker down low, but above ~4000-4500 revs the 3 Liter final opens up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts