BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came up to him on the highway, he was going about 75, I was about 80-85 and passed him in the middle lane. His was an '01 or '02 with at least an aftermarket exhaust, mine's an '04 330ci with only Gruppe M. From about 80-140 or so (according to the speedo), dead heat. he couldn't pull from me and I couldn't pull on him. I was pretty impressed...thought with twin turbos and highway speeds where his boost should be peak he would pull at least a car or two. Anyone else race a previous gen. S4? Similar outcome? Before any flames about street racing guys, I'm 30 with many years experience driving AND there was no one else on this stretch of road otherwise I wouldn't do it :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
without a chip upgrade youll keep up with him... if he had a ECU upgrade you would of been able to keep up with him... I raced a couple of S4 with 540i and they had ECU upgrades and i wasnt able to keep up with them, not in higher speeds... :thumbup:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on an ECU upgrade as soon as Samir and gang come up with an '04 one. I guess it's a new processor this year. Can't wait! But you're right...I hear just an ECU bumps those up to about 320 hp and with an intake/axhaust over 340. Still my closet race yet.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
I'm surprised you could keep up with him at all. B5 S4s are fast especially with just some inexpensive mods.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
B5s? Not really. The B6 is over-rated, everyone thought it would be an M3 killer but its hardly an E36 M3 killer.

·
Rogue Engineering
2,478 Posts
yea B5's im guessing because they are the only S's with twin turbos. Ari...whats up bro...when you gonna post pics of your rieger bumper for me?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt, so sorry man! I wanted to wait until I got the winter shoes on to take a couple more pics on the disposable camera and also get the mesh on the bumper. Mesh hasn't happened yet but shoes and PSS9 went onthis week. I'll go get them developed right now...should have them by Wed :)

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
I actually pulled on a stock auto S4 with four people in it. Take away the passengers, and I probably would've lost, take away the auto too and it wouldn't even have been close.

Stock 6 spd B5 S4 runs mid 14's and does 0-60 in around 6 seconds flat. Pretty similar to the 330.

I'm not sure about the auto, but my guess would be around 15 for the 1/4 and 6.5-6.7 0-60. Also similar to the 330 auto.

Still, the thing to keep in mind about the biturbo S4's is that a chip will make a WORLD of difference. It certainly does for the 1.8T model. The B5 S4 was quite a bargin at 41k new (same as a well equipped 330) and a lot of tuning potential right out of the gates, thanks to the factory turbo.

·
ASA NO MO
2,228 Posts
Mine kicks in at 136, maybe he just looked down really quick. I know I dont want to be staring at the gauge cluster for too long at those speeds.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
red 330izhp said:
how did you go 140 w/o any ECU upgrade? doesnt governor kick in around 128?
Speedo error? I know I once had my speedo reading 155+ with the shark (no governor), when my car should be topping out from 145-150.

·
Banned
256 Posts
yeah i raced an s4 once and everyone said i was full of SH*T when i said i beat it!!! And i raced a diff one just to make sure.... and beat it as well....!

·
Registered
165 Posts
He has a 330 and you have a 323, that is why we did not and still don't believe you.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts