BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
R8 Style Running Lights (inside the lens) UPDATE!!

UPDATE!

So it looked messy with the LEDs sitting ontop of the trim, so i took them off, and managed to stick them on, underneath the curved trim piece, inside the lens. looks a lot neater. go the camera out and took some better photos

*covers flameproof suit with flame retardant foam*

------------------------------------------------

*dons flameproof suit*

hey,

thought i'd post up pictures of my attempt at Audi R8 style running lights. looks quite good imo, although i need to get some new halogens and foglights to match (mine look bright yellow in comparison).

In preparation, i went out and bought relays and a lotta wiring and so forth, but i realised that the LED's only draw 0.6 amps when on, which is only 7.2W, so i decided to just wire it straight in.

Interestingly, the flashlight socket in the glovebox is a reallllly useful power source. It's fused with a 5A fuse (so that's 60W of power right there), AND it is off when then car is locked, but turns on when you unlock the car, and remains on as you drive, and even when you turn the engine off, AND THEN, when you lock the car, the power gets cut off. This was exactly what i wanted to do with the lights, so that was amazingly handy. I also hardwired a switch in-line so i can turn it off, should i please.

It's seriously cool, when you unlock the car, the LEDs come to life, and then when you get out of your car, and lock it as you're walking away, the lights turn off. bottom line is, if nothing else, it's a very obvious reminder i forgot to lock my car.

i know i may have just committed a heinous crime against all that some fanatics stand for, but for curiosity's sake, i thought i'd try it out, so here are some pictures (sorry for the dodgy phone camera quality, my SLR was outta juice).

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,800 Posts
damn, let me be in first,

#1 that actually looks kinda freakin HOTTT

#2 people everywhere will actually think you are driving a new audi!

#3 what the heck did you use for the led light strip?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You better get a highly rated flame suit ON :lmao:

They look nice, but I think the curves in the e46 headlight do not give a clean curvy look that the RS8's got

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
m3_obsessed, i was thinking that, but tbh, there are sooo many bmws when i drive in the morning, from 1 series to X6s, and they all have the same yellow angel eyes, so i didn't really wanna go with the DDEs. I'm sure there's some guy driving an R8, pissed off at me for stealing his thunder.....and ok that makes me kinda happy...lol

Thanks trizzuth! the best bit is when you unlock your car from a distance, and see it light up. looks insane.

Got the LED strips off ebay, best 8 bucks (each) i ever spent.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
m3_obsessed, i was thinking that, but tbh, there are sooo many bmws when i drive in the morning, from 1 series to X6s, and they all have the same yellow angel eyes, so i didn't really wanna go with the DDEs. I'm sure there's some guy driving an R8, pissed off at me for stealing his thunder.....and ok that makes me kinda happy...lol

Thanks trizzuth! the best bit is when you unlock your car from a distance, and see it light up. looks insane.

Got the LED strips off ebay, best 8 bucks (each) i ever spent.
what...?

You stole an R8's thunder by taking its DRL set up? I can understand what you mean but if the guy is actually pissed off at you its not for stealing his thunder its for being annoying :rofl:

But you get points for DIYing this, so :thumbup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thats awesome great work, I wish I could see this in person. I am sure it is even better in person then the pictures truly show.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think it doesn't suit the car at all, looks basically retarded. (not you, the car)
If Audi didn't have it already, I'd look at the pics and just call it rice. But since they do, it looks retarded.

Same way I feel whenever I see a VW Golf, Opel Corsa, VW Bora/Jetta or any other car with angel eyes in the headlights. Doesn't compute.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeh, you're right, there is something not-quite-right about it, and i'm halfway about to take it off...buttt, it's different, and i don't want to do angel eyes, so i don't know what i'd replace it with

plus, gives the fanatics in melbourne a really easy way to spot me :p

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I had a Acura RSX paces behind me with angels.

Looked clean but I feel angels are bimmer only grounds as is audi with the bottom/side contour line. What is the proper name of the audi "bottom/side contour lines LED's" anyways?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like how it looks when it's on, I don't like how obvious it is when it's off. It looks like a pearl necklace fell into the headlight. If the housings for the headlights were silver and it would blend in better it would be quite nice. Also, not sure if it's the camera, but the lights look too blue, the colour temp is too high imo. Definitely like how you wired them though, that was good thinking. After reading this I may wire my angel eyes to be the same way.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts