BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm looking for a quiet exhaust to give my 325 a slight kick in the bum. Let me preface this by saying I'm not expecting gobs of power from an exhaust so please save your supercharger recommendations from my mini-straight-six. :)

I've searched around the posted threads and it looks like people recommend the Remus and Super Sprint. How do these exhaust match up in looks, sound quality and performance to the others?

Also, does anyone know anything about the AA exhaust? I've heard it's not too loud and gives quite a performance boost compared to other exhausts.

Finally, I wanted a catback exhaust but I've heard the only two are UUC TSE1&2 and Borla and they're all quite loud.

Insert $0.02 here please.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Greedy makes a cat back as well. The Borla is only for 323/328 cars and the Greedy will convert your dual pipe system to a single in their version. Should also check out Eisenmann, it sounds a lot like the Remus ones and is in threee distinct levels of sound and they have a pipe to remove the resonator for more flexibility.
Down side is it's one of the more expensive units. I'm alos looking at exhausts for the new year and have settled on either Supersprint or Eisenmann based on sound, tip style and size and construction. You might want to try to hook up with some board members and hear the units, that's what sold me on those two.

·
Alpha Male
7,143 Posts
I've the AA for about 3 years. It's nice, not overly loud, doesn't drone, quiet at idle and growls under throttle.

·
1,101 Posts
i have a supersprint - i honestly cant tell the difference from stock. look good tho

do a search this has been covered a kazillion times

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
AA is nice and not too loud.
Never heard the other exhaust though but my brother's exhaust for his e36 sounds very nice and classy. Definitely would recommend it cuz it looks beautiful and i prefer the discrete exhaust....it sounds similar to the zhp exhaust. Sounds awesome when ur right behind it. I am going with the AA as well when i have the cash.

Good luck

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,332 Posts
search on "quiet exhausts"; there's plenty of info...then search super sprint and remus and there's plenty more info...

having said that...i installed a SuperSprint about 1 month ago...i too wanted a quiet exhaust and this one fits the bill...tips are dual round 80mm and staggered. sound inside is quiet under normal driving conditions, NO droning, no increase in volume. above 4K or so, under aggressive acceleration, there is a noticeable growl, and the car seems to breathe better in this range than it did before.

outside the car at idle, the exhaust has more bass to it, and a bit more tone, not much more volume...

the sound and tone have increased a little since day 1; i now have about 800 miles on it; other SS owners say it takes about 1K miles for it to be broken in completely...

overall, i'm very happy with it...good looks, slight bump in performance, and a nice tone that doesn't compromise the refinement of the car....

·
Registered
186 Posts
MIAMITOPAZ said:
i have a supersprint - i honestly cant tell the difference from stock. look good tho

do a search this has been covered a kazillion times
:werd:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the Eisenmann Race with sound pipes which I find very quiet. They have two other levels of quietness below mine even. But the race gave nice gains, and sound is very minimal

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have AA and I love it. Not loud but when it gets hot gives a nice low rumble. You hear it more outside the car than inside which I like.

·
Resident CF Whore
2,810 Posts
I've heard the AA exhaust on a 323, a UUC TSE2 on a 325, and a Rogue Engineering exhaust on a 330... then there's my Dinan exhaust on my 325.

Even though my car has a slightly bigger engine than my friend's 323, the Dinan was definitely quieter than the AA.
Tips are nice stainless steel, but they are too small.
Dinan may also be an option if you want quiet.
Mine doesn't drone either.
The RE and TSE2 (straight piped) were pretty loud so you probably should stay away from those.

Rated E said:
I have the Eisenmann Race with sound pipes which I find very quiet. They have two other levels of quietness below mine even. But the race gave nice gains, and sound is very minimal
Are you serious?!?!
I've never heard it, but my Eisenmann race is on order with straight pipes and I was hoping it to be overwhelming louder than my all too quiet Dinan.
I hope you are just exaggerating.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I suggest Dinan. I have a Dinan exhaust and it is perhaps the most quiet sounding when driving, but has a nice little rumble at low rpms. It adds about 4-6 HP (which you can feel).

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
RD. It's only loud when the intake kicks in at 3800rpm.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Dougs325 said:
I suggest Dinan. I have a Dinan exhaust and it is perhaps the most quiet sounding when driving, but has a nice little rumble at low rpms. It adds about 4-6 HP (which you can feel).
:werd:

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
let me say this again REMUS

it growls when u start it up, give it one minute tops, it quiets down.......when u open her up on the highway sounds schweeet, and perfectly quiet when idle:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He and his said:

it growls when u start it up, give it one minute tops, it quiets down.......when u open her up on the highway sounds schweeet, and perfectly quiet when idle:thumbup:
Get a couple of horsies out of yer Remus or was it the same as stock?

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
NappyD1136 said:

Get a couple of horsies out of yer Remus or was it the same as stock?
well we all get a couple of horses right...........the question is can u tell that u got it..........its so minor.........peeps mainly do it for looks and sound, the fact that u get a lil hp is a bonus:thumbup: :D

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,332 Posts
Even though my car has a slightly bigger engine than my friend's 323,
2.5l vs. 2.5l :dunno:

well we all get a couple of horses right...........the question is can u tell that u got it..........its so minor.........peeps mainly do it for looks and sound, the fact that u get a lil hp is a bonus
agreed...most people experience a placebo effect because the cars SOUND faster...i thougth i noticed a bump w/my SS, but who really knows...

again i recommend the SS, but you can go wrong w/Remus either (i ran one for 5 years - problem free- on my GTI VR6)...

good luck...

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
He and his said:

Exactly my thoughts. I have a video of mine, but its not very good....I have another after it was broken in if someone can host it for me. I'll put it up using tripod, but I doubt it will last very long.

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
cowmoo32 said:

Exactly my thoughts. I have a video of mine, but its not very good....I have another after it was broken in if someone can host it for me. I'll put it up using tripod, but I doubt it will last very long.
somebody host this, I wanna hear it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts