E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
cowmoo32 said:
Ok. I understand that an SSK makes the shifts easier, but what exactly does it DO? How does it make the throws shorter?
All SSK's work by raising, or changing the "fulcrum" pivot point. This causes any given amount of movement above this point to move the shift rod under the pivot point farther. Thus shorter throws of the shift knob result in the necessary movement on the shift rod below to engage the next gear. The better SSK's use ball bearings &/or improved mating surfaces to smooth out the movements as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What is SSK and what can it do for you?

Click on the link...click product catalog ---> BMW ---> SSK; UUC will tell you all you ever wanted to know bout SSKs.

You can also read about Rogue Engineering as well - different SSK, but same similar principle.

cowmoo32 said:
Ok. I understand that an SSK makes the shifts easier, but what exactly does it DO? How does it make the throws shorter?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new shifter is SO crisp, SO positive - never any doubt as to whether you are in gear or not. Throws are also VERY short - me likey a lot! Snick-snick snick-snick goes the shifter. IMO the effort is just right - only a little stiffer than stock but much more positive.

The factory shifter feels like a broomstick in a bucket of mud in comparison.

When I rolled up the windows and turned off the fan, I did notice a small bit of gear whine transmitted through the new lever. It's very quiet but it is there. I think it sounds very cool - it's very subtle but also very mechanical-sounding.

I didn't think the difference in feel would be so pronounced - and so damn good. Should have done this mod a long time ago...although I think I'm glad I waited for the 3rd generation design.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BWMguy206 said:
I have 13 E46 323/325 and 7 E46 328/330 5spd kits left in stock ready to be shipped on same day orders if made before 4pm PST.

http://www.mperformance.com/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=76

You get free next day shipping or enter discount code UUCEvo3 for the Summer Special and free ground shipping only.
I got my EVO3 from Jon (BMWguy206). I suggest using the discount code rather than free next day shipping. It was worth 50 bucks off when I bought mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's awesome...isn't it!

I posted yesterday tah I just got my UUC EVO3 SSK installed and it's exactly what everyone here has been saying...WOW!!. Just drove it again last night and it really is a big difference especially when launching from a stop and I can see how the shorter shifts make accelerating even faster.

I don't know but I think I maybe one of the first or few people here who have a ssk installed on a xi. Anyone in the Philly area who has an xi and is debating on getting a UUC EVO3 SSK I'd be willing to let you try it out in my ride first. I am really that proud of it and want to share my joy with all doubters :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.