BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do my own oil this weekend and I'm wondering if I need to use a torgue wrench as suggested by some of the members to tighten the oil cap at 18lbs.

Can I just use a regular wrench to tighten it?

Can someone please advise?

BMWBOY88

·
Track it
929 Posts
I did mine. I turned it until it began getting tight and then turned it a 1/4 turn more......when I went to BMW for my first oil service, they probably tightened it with a impact wrench...we'll see in a couple thousand miles....

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,763 Posts
if you do it yourself without a torque wrench be careful not to over torque the plug. The plug is hollow and some member have broken it by over torquing.

Tim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be on the safe side, I will go and buy a torgue wrench.
How do I know when I need to stop tightening using a torgue wrench? Is there a stop mechanism?
sorry for these newbie questions.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, the wrench will tell you when to stop. Most types have a release that will begin to slip when you hit the desired torque amount. Some have a meter that shows when you've reached the amount.

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
Some torque wrenches make a very audible click noise. Don't retorque with a torque wrench after it indicates that you're at the proper torque.

dave

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
Oh, also, if you want to use a torque wrench for the drain plug and oil filter cap make sure the torque wrench can be set as low as the specs for those two parts. My torque wrench won't go low enough for the drain plug and oil filter cap.

dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts