E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was renewing the output shaft seal on a 5 speed manual and managed to mess up. I drilled a bit too far and hit the mentioned seal (was drilling to try and pull seal out) . Please advise what to do now. I would rather replace this seal as it seems even before this fu*k up, this was most likely the seal that was leakimg. The shaft spins smoothly but if I tilt the box to an extreme angle, oil does come out. Pics attached

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
Seal 13 on pic above

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Ok, that's odd- it looks to me like that's a sealed output bearing.

But that's... redundant.

Personally, I'd just replace the output seal, use a bit of sealant on the flange,
and hope for the best.

Because the only way to replace the seal on a sealed bearing is to change the bearing.
Which is a bear.

t
ursine

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this seal hard to change? What I'm not sure about is if this is a seal or is the actual bearing itself?
I'm keen to change as I think this is where my initial issue is of the leak is

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
872 Posts
The gear change rod seal tends to start leaking before the output shaft seal, so check carefully where the oil is coming from.

If you decide to replace the gear change rod seal, you can either remove the old seal, or push it back into the housing. There is enough room to fit the new seal on top of the old one.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,336 Posts
Is this seal hard to change? What I'm not sure about is if this is a seal or is the actual bearing itself?
I'm keen to change as I think this is where my initial issue is of the leak is
You've removed the shaft seal already, what you're showing us now is the shield on the bearing (actually part of the bearing).

Just replace the seal and you'll be good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply - are you saying that this is just a simple seal that will pull out and allow me to just probably push another seal in?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll be more experienced than me, although I thought it was a bearing too but really doesn't look like it. On that basis then, why is it when I tip the trans up from input shaft side, fluid leaks from this bearing/seal?

·
Registered
72 Posts
This dust seal could be there with the intention of keeping big gear, synchro particles out in case of it crunching off or in case of metal shavings when drilling the old seal. Like a few others have mentioned, it’s going to be okay if you leave it alone and just installed the new transmission oil seal. Makes sense for this to be leaking if your pushing toward the 150k mark or exceeding it.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
You'll be more experienced than me, although I thought it was a bearing too but really doesn't look like it. On that basis then, why is it when I tip the trans up from input shaft side, fluid leaks from this bearing/seal?
Of course with the output shaft seal removed, and the output bearing seal has a drilled hole then it will leak oil. But even the bearing has no seal it is just fine. Just replace the output seal and done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Do you think as a precautionary measure I should put rtv on the damaged rubber parts?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,359 Posts
Look, it's a "Sealed bearing" which holds grease rather well, but transmission/gear oil not so well.

Hence the outer (normal) seal. Can the seal on the bearing be purchased, NO.
Can it be replaced, I dare say only about 10% could do successfully.
In order to replace the seal, you need to buy the bearing and not damage the seal when pulling it out of the new one.

I would not be adding in and type of sealant. As it would only interfere with the ability of the balls just under the seal to run smoothly.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,359 Posts
No. Just install the new shaft seal and stop worrying about it.
Monitor from there. Most likely you'll be fine.
FWIW the leak at the rear of any BMW manual transmission is usually the selector shaft seal and not the output seal.
FYI.

The output is often mistaken for being the culprit, as the selector shaft seal (just above it) is leaking down onto the output seal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. Going it up. I had the tranny in the car to show a friend and coincidentally the transmission tilted towards the cut in the seal but no fluid came out. So it looks all good.

On a separate note, would it be a bad idea to run sealant round the final seal after it set back in?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Use trans fluid on the lip where it meets the output flange,

and if it's a really tight fit (i.e. doesn't want to drive in cleanly)
you can use a TINY amount of RTV as a lube. Usually you only
need the RTV if you've gouged the housing pulling the old one out.

Which I've done more than once, sadly.

t
now uses a seal puller.

Penguin takes his car to his mechanic, it's leaking oil from somewhere.
Mechanic says, 'let me take a quick look, this might not be so bad-
come back in half an hour.'
It's a hot day, so the penguin wanders off to the local mall nearby.
Comes back, and the mechanic says,
'Good news, you just blew a seal!'
'Naw,' says the penguin, 'It's just ice cream.'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts