E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Thule roof rack for my 328i off craigslist, it came with everything but the bolta to mount it to the car. I read on here that the bolt size is m6x16, so I picked some up at Lowe's yesterday. The problem is that the bolts barely thread in, maybe a quarter of a turn or so. I don't want to strip out the roof rack mounting holes on the car. So my question is are these the correct size bolts and I just need to use a little force to get them in, or is there a smaller size I'm supposed to use?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Give thule a call. They'll have the correct bolts. It's also not a regular allen head bolt. It's an allen head bolt with a raised circle in the center of it. Here is a picture of the wrench that is used for them. It's a tamper resistant bolt.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
Give thule a call. They'll have the correct bolts. It's also not a regular allen head bolt. It's an allen head bolt with a raised circle in the center of it. Here is a picture of the wrench that is used for them. It's a tamper resistant bolt.

it's called a security bit. all someone has to do is drill a hole in the tool and voila. or simply buy it from the tool store. lol better than not having it i gues.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your car stanced, spaced, and stretched?
No, it's all stock, why?

it's called a security bit. all someone has to do is drill a hole in the tool and voila. or simply buy it from the tool store. lol better than not having it i gues.
I have a entire kit of those bits. Will the bolts I bought fit or do I need to order the Thule ones? I need to get it out of the g/f's truck tonight, and the only way is to put in on the car. I just don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You probably bought coarse thread bolts instead of fine or vice versa. I drove cross country with two surfboards on my roof from Florida to California with stainless stell button head bolts I bought at Ace Hardware. One thing you will need are rubber washer and a standard washer. The rack goes on the car, then the rubber washer, then standar washer, then put the bolt on. My friend has transported his bikes, surfboards, etc all over the place with the same setup.

No need to use tamper resistant bolts. Sure someone can steal the racks off your roof but you can go to habor freight or sears and pick up a set of "security" sockets and steal your racks just as easlily.

BTW- when i bought mine I had to go back twice because the bolts i initially bought were in the wrong bin. Id be willing to bet thats what happend in your case

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
No, it's all stock, why?

I have a entire kit of those bits. Will the bolts I bought fit or do I need to order the Thule ones? I need to get it out of the g/f's truck tonight, and the only way is to put in on the car. I just don't want to damage anything.
Just wanted to make sure you're a legitimate rider and not a stanceteen.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm picking up some kayaks and I need a way to transport them, I'd like to pick a bike up soon too!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You probably bought coarse thread bolts instead of fine or vice versa. I drove cross country with two surfboards on my roof from Florida to California with stainless stell button head bolts I bought at Ace Hardware. One thing you will need are rubber washer and a standard washer. The rack goes on the car, then the rubber washer, then standar washer, then put the bolt on. My friend has transported his bikes, surfboards, etc all over the place with the same setup.

No need to use tamper resistant bolts. Sure someone can steal the racks off your roof but you can go to habor freight or sears and pick up a set of "security" sockets and steal your racks just as easlily.

BTW- when i bought mine I had to go back twice because the bolts i initially bought were in the wrong bin. Id be willing to bet thats what happend in your case
Thanks a ton for the info! I should have those in my garage, I'll take a look when I get home.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the type bolt I got..

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it installed tonight, thanks for all of the help! Pics to come tomorrow when there's light out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.