BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just have a quick question. About a month ago my coolant light came on, so I called the dealer and asked which type of coolant I can put in? so the guy said anything is okay. So my dad had some Prestone (Green Stuff) and I added in about 1/2 litre or so, perhaps less. Now I found out on this forum that I shouldnt use that Prestone Coolant and should use the Orange one or BMW one, Now do I need to completely flush my old coolant out or is it okay just leaving it? and using BMW coolant in the future? thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I just drain it out and run water through it with the Prestone radiator cleaner? then refill with BMW coolant and distilled water? thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you didn't put in that much, and you haven't been running it for too long, just flush it out with water and refill with the good stuff.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wanted to flush my rad in Sept., when I called my mechanic to make an appointment he told me that I would need to buy the BMW antifreeze, being a little confused I went to a local dealer and found out that if you use any antifreeze other then the BMW fluid, you will damage numerous seals within the engine causing a whole lotta problems!!!

I personnally would take your car the a BMW dealer and let them flush it for you, it does'nt cost that much....approx $100 CDN.

That's my 2 cents.
:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts