E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a CD Changer in my 2000 323i which has the HK option. A button on the inside lip of my trunk says its pre-wired for a CD Changer.

My questions are: where does the factory changer mount? Is there a wire somewhere in the trunk already to be pluged into the changer, if so where is it? I have been looking at buying a used BMW unit and using it, or should I look at other manufacturer units i.e. Alpine, and what are the advantages of doing so?

Thanks

:dunno:

·
Registered
75 Posts
The factory changer mount replaces the driver's side panel in the trunk.

You can find pictures of it here:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/audio/forum.php?postid=1433274&page=1

The harness is behind the driver's side panel in the trunk. It's wrapped up in friction tape so you'll have to unwrap it.

The advantages of other changers are that they're much, much cheaper and you can get more functionality (MP3 capability). You'll just have to get an adapter like Soundgate or Blitzsafe to interface the BMW's wiring harness.

·
Registered
553 Posts
There's also an OEM bracket for mounting the changer under the parcel shelf. I've also seen them mounted vertically in the plastic tray on the left side of the truck, or in an enclosure that fits inside the plastic tray.

Also consider getting a used OEM changer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts