E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the years my wheels have gotten pretty banged up so I have been searching for something new. I don't have the $$ for OEM but I found these replicas that I like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190513904268&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:MOTORS:1123#ht_5487wt_881. I am sure the quality will not be the same as the OEM ones but in general is this a good idea or will I regret it? Also what size tires do you recomend for these? The wheels are 18x8 so I was thinking of a 215/35/18 or 225/35/18. These are what I am thinking right now http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&partnum=235YR8SXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry I made a duplicate of this in the Tires and wheels section. How can I delete this?
I have also read in places that it might look funny if my car isn't lowered. Should I also get some new springs?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
try posting this in the Wheel and Tire Section for faster and more accurate service.

Aftermarket rims tend to chip away, wear away and get bent or damage from potholes easier than OEM.

The upside is they are cheaper than OEM and great for people that like to have summer/winter seasonal rims or people that change their minds often.

The size will be fine but be wary of any limitations that the 325xi (all wheel drive chassis) may have regarding sport package and larger rims or various offset rims.

·
Registered
479 Posts
18's will probably not look horrible on your unlowered sedan. Obviously lower would be better cosmetically. Can't speak for quality but depending on your roads you might have to keep your eyes peeled. At least you're not going to break the bank if you bend one. I'm pretty sure there is a red sedan in someones sig on here with these wheels on it; not sure if they're OEM. You should check the showroom.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Putting 18in wheels on an unlowered xi will make it look like a monster truck. But, it's your car so if you think it looks good then so be it.

As far as quality goes, I'm sure those are fine but you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere. I've heard EuroWheels Pro has good wheels for a good price along with most of our sponsors on here. $599 for a set of 18in reps seems kind of steep for me.

If I were you, I'd spring for a set of used 17in OEM wheels and call it good. There are lots to choose from so finding one you like is just a matter of time. I bought a set of style 44s to use as my summer wheels and keep my style 137s for winter. Keeps the cost of tires down and also keeps you more at ease about all the potholes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The E46 used a 225/40/18 tire on the front (8" wide wheel) with the 18 inch wheel option.
The 225/35/18 size will be almost an inch smaller in diameter, causing your speedometer to show a higher speed than you are actually traveling. (more so than the standard tires)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts