BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
questions about step gearing ratio

my mom's Acura TL Type-S and my 330ci have 5-speed steptronic and my mom's car can go up to 95 in the 3rd gear but my car only goes up to about 80... what is up with that?
it sucks to upshift to 4th at 80...

anybody knows why bmws have such a short 3rd gearing ratio??
:dunno:

·
Registered
737 Posts
are u sure man? i think im still at around 4000rpm when im doin 80 and in 3rd....though Im not FOR SURE....ill have to try it tomorrw...though I think its cuz we don't have as much of a top speed as the TL(whats top on it ne ways, i know it more then our cars)....

·
Registered
407 Posts
You can't compare apples to oranges....Every manufacturers cars are different when it comes to gearing of the transmissions.. Bmw's transmission gearing may even be different from year to year.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, im sure that i have to upshift at around 80mph.. i downshift when i pass other cars and it would be nice to downshift to 3rd at 70 and go another 20 mph or so in the 3rd and then to 4th...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
dude are you sure i take my car upto 100 on third gear.
ok my car has the super chip. plus its a gulf spec car may be thats the difference

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
On the 330 auto you definitely should be able to hit 90 something mph in 3rd gear. Maybe the transmission won't shift at redline unless you engage the kick-down switch?

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
Its the transmission not willing to take it all the way up into redline, damn them autos.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
I have driven a Step and it didn't let me take it to the 6400 rpm that my manual shift lets me take my car too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it just sucks when you are going like 70-75 and it wont allow you to downshift from 4th to 3rd to get a little more pickup.. i will just have to be in the 4th gear... its ok though since 330's got good torque and hp...:) i just wish it had a longer 3rd gearing

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
The 330 should be able to go to 92mph before the end of 3rd and thats with at 1.66:1 ratio on the 5-Speed manual and with the 1.59:1 3rd gear on the auto with a slightly more aggresive rear end should still be atleast 90mph before the car shifts.

Edit- Also the TL should be topping out at 99mph at the end of third.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm, really, how does the ratio work? the higher the ratio is, the lower the top speed for each gear is?

then, i guess the TL-S has a higher gear ratio than the bmws.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,541 Posts
Thats weird man...I've read many times that 3rd on 330's is in the 90's all the way up to 100. Mine will go 83-85 @ around 6500 RPM in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wel, all i know is i go around 80 at about 6000 rpm, i never take it up to the redline.. but still though, i wanna be doing about 90 at 6000rpm but i guess my 330 doesnt do that... oh well

·
Registered
843 Posts
today i went up to 87 at 6000. didnt take it 6700 coz it wwas raining. it should go up to 95 no problem.
i got step. dinan chip and auto software.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts