BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) How easy is this thing to install?

2) Does this unit need the remote control after u program it? or can u put away the remote? I heard this thing makes ur steering wheel buttons control the remote which in turn controls the radio? Or does it make ur steering wheel controls directly control the radio?

·
hammer talks like this
4,221 Posts
from what i read it sends a signal to the head units remote sensor. i would keep the remote handy just in case you need to use other functions of the deck.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought that the head unit's remote sensor requires line of sight?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any DIY's for this thing? Easy to install?

·
Registered
111 Posts
the SWI-X has it own little IR eye. You program the buttons that you want it to act as, then leanrs the code that the remote would send out. Everytime you push a steering button, it sends out that code and performs the function. You no longer need the remote, unless you want to perform other functions. It's fairly simple to install, so you should be able to DIY.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Basically, you connect three wires: ignition, ground and steering wheel control. Once it is connected, you program the streering wheel button by pushing it, then aim the button in you radio's remote that you want to assign to that function. Once programmed, you don't need the remote. The box has an "eye" in a wire that you need to mount somewhere and aim into the head unit and it send the same signals it learned from your remote.

It is not hard to install. It just takes time to find and test the correct steering wheel wire and to program the unit if you have not done it before. As long as you read the instructions very carefully, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
kinda OT but anyone else have a problem with their pac swix changing folders everytime you start the car??

·
devGOD
2,521 Posts
my audio shop installed my pac swix unit. works great mapped all the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel and the sensor is mounted just above the back of the e-brake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts