BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some more info on how the car drives with the software.
I usual hate the SMG because of how jerky
and slow to shift it is when driving normally around town.
With the software does it transform it Into
an enjoyable drive? Very similar to DCT?
Or do you still get that huge exaggerated feeling of interruption between shifts?
(Not WOT)

·
Registered
48 Posts
SMG will never be as smooth as DCT. I never drive the SMG in full auto mode. You still need to be engaged while driving the car or you will hate it.

The CSL software helps a ton, but I wouldn't say it makes it any smoother. Just faster and more enjoyable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The CSL tunes either yourself (recommneded) via Frank Smith TTFS (not recommended as too expensive) will improve the transmission, but not anywhere near a DCT. They're minor improvements which help, but don't expect too much. The downshifting/peddle match is nice. It's a bit faster. That's about it.

Looking to get some more info on how the car drives with the software.
I usual hate the SMG because of how jerky
and slow to shift it is when driving normally around town.
With the software does it transform it Into
an enjoyable drive? Very similar to DCT?
Or do you still get that huge exaggerated feeling of interruption between shifts?
(Not WOT)

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,548 Posts
The CSL tunes either yourself (recommended) via Frank Smith TTFS (not recommended as too expensive) will improve the transmission, but not anywhere near a DCT. They're minor improvements which help, but don't expect too much. The downshifting/peddle match is nice. It's a bit faster. That's about it.

I'd completely agree. ANY improvement on the shifting/quality is a plus for this rather slow system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Kind of on topic... My SMG ECU was tuned by TTFS. I've since converted to Manual pedal. Is my ECU sellable with the tune?

The TTFS tune was definitely an improvement. But as Mr.M says it's not a day and night difference. It's a small noticible difference for smoothness of shifts. The rev match was definitely better. The Auto mode was a bit better. Personally the reliability of the stick and pedal has not made me think twice about converting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine has the Dinan SMG tune, my original M3 was stock. The Dinan makes it a bit more crisp and not as jerky, but it certainly doesnt make it feel like a DCT. Ill be honest, and im sure im in the miniority here, but the DCT in the F8* series M3 and M4 (my brother has had one of each, M3 currently) is just numb to me. I enjoy a bit of the bang in the SMG. As mentioned above, auto mode is awful. Ive always likened it to having a manual transmission car you are driving, but the shifting and clutch are operated by your friend in the passenger seat with absolutely no idea when that person is going to decide to bang a shift out. So i NEVER use auto mode. My brother uses it constantly in his M3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I do understand it will never be as smooth as DCT. Probably shouldn’t of used that as a comparison hah.
I do agree, the more I think about it. I would want it to be completely smooth. I do want to feel a little bit of the shifts. Just think the system stick shifts way to long and jerky, especially on the 1-2 shift. Maybe I’m not driving it correctly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
While obnoxious in slow speed high traffic areas, shifting around 4k+ rpms from 1-2 seems quick to me. I'm in '5' for drivelogic.

Thanks for all the input. I do understand it will never be as smooth as DCT. Probably shouldn’t of used that as a comparison hah.
I do agree, the more I think about it. I would want it to be completely smooth. I do want to feel a little bit of the shifts. Just think the system stick shifts way to long and jerky, especially on the 1-2 shift. Maybe I’m not driving it correctly.
Which level do you have it set at 1,2,3,4,5, or even 6? 6 will knock fillings out your mouth.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Stay in 5-6 for paddle shifting... I would put it in Auto 3 when my mom or kids would drive the car (everyone loves a drop top)... kids have subsequently learned to use the paddles (they call it driving a stick — they have no idea)... mom just drives the 500E instead.

maw

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't really know about the tunes, since I don't have one. But SMG will never feel as smooth as a torque converter auto transmission or a DCT. It jerks like a regular manual transmission. Why didn't BMW update all M3s with the improved SMG software (after the CSL was developed in 2002) ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts