BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! New to e46, but have been active on bimmerpost for a long time. I'm in the process of eagerly tracking down an e46 to build but I have a couple of questions regarding the clutch and transmission. I have had several BMWs before that I have done basic upgrades to (tunes, exhaust, chassis work, suspension, brakes, etc.), but have never done a supercharger/ turbo on any of them.

I'd love to get about 450hp out of the car and use the VF supercharger kit. My question is... does anyone have knowledge on what kind of clutch/ flywheel kit or combo that can give me daily-drive capability but still handle this power if I want to put the hammer down? Any help would be great.

It's worth saying, I am not going to "cheap out" on anything. I want to buy unused parts and will be having the tuning and work done by professionals. :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help,
Duncan H.
:hi:

·
:D
7,717 Posts
The m5 clutch kit will probably be fine for that power. I believe the m5 had about 400 hp stock

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I don't understand the question.

Why would a clutch that can handle the rigors of 450hp not be good for a DD? Seems to me that if you can get 450hp started and stopped, then the rest is easy. You should not be looking at how the clutch will be for daily driving, that's an issue for the entire package you are building. How will 450hp do as a daily driver? That's the question. If you have no reservations about driving your creation, then the clutch is whatever the clutch turns out to be, and it must meet certain criteria as dictated by the machined, not by your foot.

You have to retrain your foot to get along with the machine, do not compromise the machine to fit your foot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Let me rephrase. It is important that the car not be a pain in the ass to drive. A big part of this to me is the clutch and how it feels. Many racing clutches are like an on/off switch. I DONT WANT THAT. I want it feel pretty closet to OEM but not break because of the added power. I'm asking for someone to recommend a good clutch that will give me this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for example, some people like the disc to be made out of kevlar or ceramic depending on use but they come with trade-offs. ??? i understand that you have to adapt your driving style. thats not my question. I'm asking for opinions on specific clutches that people that have had experience with. preferably, people who have experience with this kind of power

·
:D
7,717 Posts
Let me rephrase. It is important that the car not be a pain in the ass to drive. A big part of this to me is the clutch and how it feels. Many racing clutches are like an on/off switch. I DONT WANT THAT. I want it feel pretty closet to OEM but not break because of the added power. I'm asking for someone to recommend a good clutch that will give me this.

M5 clutch kit. Because it is oem. And will handle the power

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Do you know about the subframe weakness on the E46?
You'll have to do some very serious reinforcement on that, since they get torn with even stock hp.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Wasn't that on the pre-2001 models?
The problem with tearing under normal use was on the earlier models, but the E46 subframe design overall isn't as robust as later models due to the smaller width and closer mounting points. Compare to the subframe on the E82 and E9x.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts