BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Europrojektz Southeast
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to weigh my 19" Racing Hart C2 3 pcs and I noticed that it is lighter than my stock 17" style 44
(44 lbs. vs 46 lbs). I thought aftermarket wheels are heavier especially multi-pieces. Is this normal? Does this mean that I don't lose any performance with my aftermarket wheel?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Type 44s are notoriously heavy. Also, different tires have different weights. That said, aftermarket wheels are OFTEN heavier because they are OFTEN made with cheaper and softer materials, along with poorer processes. This is not a universal truism, and there are exceptions, like my superleggeras.

Actual weight isn't the ONLY thing that affects performance however. Larger wheels move the bulk of the weight FURTHER away from the hub, thereby increasing the amount of force needed to turn them. If you're going to ask me whether I think you've lost a significant amount of performance, probably not. I am by no means a fan of huge wheels, but....

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Your 19" aftermarket wheels are likely "forged" & not "cast" like the 17" oem. "Forged" wheels are not only lighter but are also much stronger than "cast".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Actual weight isn't the ONLY thing that affects performance however. Larger wheels move the bulk of the weight FURTHER away from the hub, thereby increasing the amount of force needed to turn them. If you're going to ask me whether I think you've lost a significant amount of performance, probably not. I am by no means a fan of huge wheels, but....
Very true and often forgotten. Moving the weight further from the hub will increase rotational inertia (called the moment of inertia which increases by the radius squared). This means it is harder to get something turning or stop it from turning. The fact that they are a bit lighter helps. You probably don't notice any difference.
With my 17" BBS RKs, I noticed a difference immediately over stock. Almost a 10lb savings per wheel. :)

·
Europrojektz Southeast
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys. I didn't really noticed much change in performance with the new wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts