BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed my Tein s-tech lowering springs and Koni sport shocks today and the installation went pretty smooth for the most part. Theres one thing im still scratching my head on, on the rear springs, I used common sense and installed them with the lettering facing up and not upside down (duh right!) Heres my question: as you guys may know, the rear springs have a top and bottom damping pad, well on my springs, the lower damping pad would not insert properly into the spring (yes I tried and lubed) So I ended up shaving some rubber off the cone part (part that goes into the spring) The spring still did not completely sit flush with the damping pad but I figured everything would sit flush once the suspension compressed.

I noticed the rear does not sit as low as some of the pictures I had seen of e46/m3's with s-techs but I figured they needed to settle. After driving around for about 50 miles they did settle another half inch or so but my rear is still not as low as I had seen in pictures.

After doing some research, I found one guy with pretty much the same problem:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=332205&highlight=tein+springs
He ended up installing the springs with the lettering upside down but it seems that this is the proper way for them to seat properly.

I know many of you use these springs so please give me some feedback.

Summery: Are Tein s-tech lowering springs supposed to be installed with the lettering facing upside down or is my set defective in the sence that the lettering was written upside down?? I know this is a little difficult to understand without pictures but those who have installed them should know what im talking about.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Yes, in most cases it will end up looking with the letters facing upside down. The rear springs have a flat metal on one side(bottom when installing) and a round on the other side(goes on top).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much man, im gonna go flip my springs now:banghead:

Yes, in most cases it will end up looking with the letters facing upside down. The rear springs have a flat metal on one side(bottom when installing) and a round on the other side(goes on top).

·
Registered
0 Posts
where did you buy your setup at and who did you have put it in?? I'm thinking about going the same route...and how do you like the ride compared to stock??

·
Registered
0 Posts
where did you buy your setup at and who did you have put it in?? I'm thinking about going the same route...and how do you like the ride compared to stock??
I just had the Tein S. Techs installed (01 M3 Vert). Let me just say that I should have done this a long time ago. The ride is much more comfortable, and the drop is perfect. The rear wheels are just tucked on my oem 18. I still have stock struts, but have no issues at all. If / when they blow, I'll be getting the Koni's, but until then, a lowered AND mroe comfortable ride suites me just fine!

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
If you like the ride with the oem shocks/struts, wait till you put the konis on. It's even better. For me, it's the best choice for everyday.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you like the ride with the oem shocks/struts, wait till you put the konis on. It's even better. For me, it's the best choice for everyday.
whelp thanks for the $700 comment...i guess i won't be waiting for the struts to blow (learning from the previous wasted wait on the springs).

BTW what settings do you have the konis set to for daily driving?

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
1/2 turn from softest setting. Maybe little bit more than that. I still need to play around with it, but I am happy with it as it is now.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I am in the middle of installing mine right now, but I am still waiting on a tool i need for one of the bushings I need to replace. At the same time I am doing my RTABS, 19" stock rims and new Kuhmo Ecsta tires. So there is a lot in the mix. But this definitely helps in regards to the install.

·
Banned
423 Posts
How's the ride without the upgraded shocks?

·
Registered
917 Posts
any updates to this thread. So for sure the flat part of the springs in the rear are supposed to be on the bottom right? My car sits alot hiher in the rear than the front? I just want to make sure they are on correct.
Tein lettering should def. be upside down on the rear springs when installed.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Tein lettering should def. be upside down on the rear springs when installed.
Is that an error on tiens part, or did the intend it to be that way??

·
Registered
33 Posts
lowering springs are just trash. they ruin the suspension geometry and reduce the length of shock travel.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
lowering springs are just trash. they ruin the suspension geometry and reduce the length of shock travel.
Why do you even have to come in here and answer. This is not a lowering springs bashing thread.Did you read the thread title before you came in here?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yup rear spring is suppose to be backwards. Their is a problem with the tein spring and that it keeps popping out. So they discovered that putting it upside down takes car of the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts