E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Europrojektz East
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 323i has the OEM sport suspension and has around 31k miles as of now. Currently I have a rear-facing baby seat installed and my wife normally sits in the back seat with my newborn daughter. My wife noticed that she literally feels every bump when sitting in the back (when sitting in the front that is not the case - she feels it more when sitting in the back).
Given that I'm currently riding with 16" tires and my tire pressures are all fine, I'm wondering if maybe my rear shocks need replacing?

Normally at what mileage do shocks need replacement?

I recall there is a test of some sorts to see if the shocks are bad but don't remember the exact test. Do any of you know what that is? I think you push down on the car and if the car bounces up and down it's either good or bad - can't remember. I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you push down and the car bounces up and down, the shocks are bad. The car should return to normal ride height with minimal bouncing.

·
Europrojektz East
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmn12345 said:
If you push down and the car bounces up and down, the shocks are bad. The car should return to normal ride height with minimal bouncing.
Thanks. At what mileage do shocks typically go bad and need replacing? Can shocks go bad at 31,000 miles?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Navin323i said:
Thanks. At what mileage do shocks typically go bad and need replacing? Can shocks go bad at 31,000 miles?
Can't really go by mileage cause It all depends on the roads. But oem shocks last long

1 - 4 of 4 Posts