BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is on da floor
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm intrested in learning stick shift, i know the basics, but i'm curious on how you guys would go about taking off from a incline or steep hill. Any tip's/information would be great. Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
heres what i do. I put my right foot on the brake and i let out the clutch to where the rpm goes to about 1k and then quickly gas it and just let out the clutch. Its an art really

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
charge man said:
heres what i do. I put my right foot on the brake and i let out the clutch to where the rpm goes to about 1k and then quickly gas it and just let out the clutch. Its an art really
I used to do it like that.

I can time it almost perfectly, where I come off the brake and clutch at the same time and gass it. My car barely even rolls back a few inches. It's tough to explain how. Once you get it and begin to learn the engagement point of the clutch, you will teach yourself. Just know the theory.

When I picked up my car I had to conquer a few hills already! I used the emergency brake method. Keep the clutch in, pull the e-brake(keep button pressed), slowly come off the clutch and give it gas. When the rpms begin to rise and the car slowly pulls forward, drop the e-brake. I only used this in the begining like 3 times and then I was fine. Now I look forward to hills, because I love the challenge:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
:D
I like it!
in Europe 90% of the Cars are manual.
in America 90% are automatic.

Its all learning by doing!

ive driven stick cars since i was 14.
only one car in my history was a automatic.
(only driven once)

in my opinion Stick driving is much more fun, easier,... then automatic.

:D

·
Registered
665 Posts
The emergency brake method works very well for beginners and I do recommend it even for the experienced on very steep hills. It will save your clutch from too much slipping/burning on those biggies.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's definitely more fun. Easier? Not really. Every time I get a loaner car it's an automatic and I feel like I'm going to fall asleep driving it. Besides paying attention to other traffic, a brain-dead monkey could drive an automatic.

For hills I do what GeoMystic does, although I haven't had to deal with too many. If you do it right you won't roll back more than a few inches. You can just feel the clutch engagement point when you catch the car from rolling backwards. Just don't feel rushed when you do it, and practice a few times when no other cars are around.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's just a matter of practice before you get it. Eventually your left foot just instantaneously finds the friction point without you thinking about it -- the car will only roll back between the time period of the clutch being engaged and the friction point of the clutch -- then it's all about applying throttle. The steeper the hill the longer you should hold the clutch at the friction point while applying the throttle.

·
Like school on a Sunday...
786 Posts
You might want to get a clutch stop. The BMW clutch travel is absurdly long; it's tough to guess (for any driver) exactly where it's going to take up. With a clutch stop, you can set it up so that the clutch will take almost as soon as you lift your left foot.
Makes hills much easier for me:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
charge man said:
ditto.. i do the same.. i watch the tach.. wait until I see the needle drop a wee bit... meaning i'm at the point where the car will go forward on a flat ground with just the clutch (no gas applied).. the car still rolls back a little.. but you know you're already at the beginning engagement point.. and having that little bit of engagement aids in the car not rolling back as fast..

or.. if you're lazy.. as sometimes i am.. gas and clutch really fast and lurch forward making people think you're taking off.. then continue on at 5mph :D

·
Party Times!
1,761 Posts
i just gas it and release the clutch. I have done it enough that i realize where the "engage" or "friction" point is. After time it basiccally just becomes second nature. Hard to describe, but with time anyone can get it...

·
is on da floor
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank's guys for your replies :thumbup: I'm gona start off with the e-brake method until i learn the engagement point of the clutch, thanks again :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts