E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 BMW 325CI
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm hoping some of you can help me out here. I'm swapping a new engine into my car and I get started on removing the transmission. All the bolts are out, the tranny is loose and can turn all the way around. I can pull it about 3 inches from the engine, but that's as far as it goes. No amount of pulling and wiggling will suffice. What's the issue?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,766 Posts
Likely a question of balance.
There's 3 axis in play here. Get one too far off and it will excabarate the angle of the input shaft. Plus there's buildup on the splines.
Be 101% all the bolts are out. Take a look at the 3 angles and using a largish prybar apply force intelligently.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
are you sure you got the the little 10mm bolt that holds the thin metal shim to the bell-housing? It trips a lot of people up. It is accessed from underneath the car from the front passenger side of engine (assuming LHD) looking back toward bell housing.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,931 Posts
I presume you are removing the engine and tyranny together and detaching outside the car? If not, I would highly recommend.

it doesn’t make removing the engine appreciably harder, and it makes doing basic service and re-attachment so much easier.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I presume you are removing the engine and tyranny together and detaching outside the car? If not, I would highly recommend.

it doesn’t make removing the engine appreciably harder, and it makes doing basic service and re-attachment so much easier.
+1 on this...If you are still stuck, remove engine/trans together.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
988 Posts
Hey I had this problem. Its the starter motor hanging you up. While you have removed the two bolts that hold the starter motor, the motor is still sitting on its location dowel on the transmission housing. Get a long screw driver and a hammer ans split the starter motor off the dowel. You have to be able to see that its off the dowel, then try and remove the transmission.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,781 Posts
are you sure you got the the little 10mm bolt that holds the thin metal shim to the bell-housing? It trips a lot of people up. It is accessed from underneath the car from the front passenger side of engine (assuming LHD) looking back toward bell housing.
I'm going with this being the issue. If it was hung up on a dowel it wouldn't move very far at all, but this thing will let it move a good bit before it refuses to come loose as the flywheel cover is held captive by the flywheel.

·
:D
7,622 Posts
did you remove the shifter linkage and the main shifter linkage arm from the trans? i was removing an e30 trans the other week and forgot to remove the big aluminum shifter linkage brace from the top of the trans and had a similar problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts