E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I need to know how you lined up where to position the rings on the door metal to line up with the factory grill? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
DarrenE46 said:
C'mon people I really need to know!!!! :dunno:
In the coupes, what I normally do, is build the ring "enclosure", then place it on the door panel (being held by the three plastic pieces that extend out with the snaps at the end). On the ring, I use black sticky stuff (you could also use hot melt or something else), so when the door panel is installed, it places the ring in the correct location, and the ring gets stuck to the metal. Then I take the door panel out and use a magic marker on inside and outside of the ring to mark the location.

In the sedans, things are a lot easier, since you can take the speaker grille out and mark the inside of the ring without having to glue the ring.

Also, keep in mind that in sedans, you have one of the window rails behind the speaker location, so when you cut the metal, you have to cut two holes, leaving enough metal in the middle to support the rails.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
DarrenE46 said:
Could you please elaborate on the black plastic clip things with the clips on the end?
Wish I had a picture. On the door panel, speaker mounting area, part of the plastic has three "legs" that extend and have each a white clip a the end. Those clips snap into the door metal skin.

Basically, place the enclosure made out of several rings in the speaker area and push the door in.

Another thing you could do is stick something on the back of the factory speaker magnet (such as a spray paint can lid), and add glue to the end. Once you put the door panel in, the lid will be glued to the door metal right in the center of your enclosure.

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Smart...I was going to take out the grill and then mark it with the door panel attached. All you have to do is remelt the tabs to resecure the grille to the door panel. But your way sounds easier.

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,186 Posts
First cut your hole in the metal because you want room for the mid to breath. Next put the first baffle in. You want to screw it to metal part of the door. Next cut another baffle and use some masking tape and sort of double side it to the plastic door panel. Then get some liquid nails and put that around the ring of the baffle that is attached to your metal door. If the spacing is correct the baffle should stick to the other baffle and you are set. If the spacing is a little off, use something to put in between the second baffle and the plastic door panel.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=203818&page=4&highlight=lotus

I used three baffles since I trimmed my door and didnt have those three plastic legs the stock speaker mounts on. I think two will be perfect for you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I think I will be able to get this once I actually take the door panel off. Lethal, you used liquid nails rather than wood glue or superglue because it bonds better or some other reason?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts