BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Its almost time for a new car for me, and I'm really looking forward to getting a used 2001-2002 m3, great thing is I dont have to trade in my e36, So my question is... in all honesty... How reliable is the m3??? I really need a straight up answer guys, because the last thing I want is a car that is going to require alot of maintenance... Does the m3 have any other problems i should be aware of?? other than the 01 detonation issues... ?? which production date caused the problems?? any other maintenance required other than oil changes/check ups? thanks alot guys...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a 2001 M3 with 22.5k miles on it. It now has a a little over 27.5k. The prior owner had no problems with the car. I have had no problems with the car, with the exception of getting the door/window trims replaced because the adhesive gave up in the heat of Texas summer. To my knowledge, the car hasn't had any issues with bearings, engine etc. Apparently it was built prior to the problem builds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The m3 is the perfect fusion of a 330ci's daily driver reliability and BMW PTG racing technology... soooo reliable and soooooo fast...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moeser09 said:
I bought a 2001 M3 with 22.5k miles on it. It now has a a little over 27.5k. The prior owner had no problems with the car. I have had no problems with the car, with the exception of getting the door/window trims replaced because the adhesive gave up in the heat of Texas summer. To my knowledge, the car hasn't had any issues with bearings, engine etc. Apparently it was built prior to the problem builds.
Hey... also.. if you dont mind... how much did you get ur car for?? just wondering because I'm pretty sure i'm getting a good deal for a 2001 6 spd . 19500 miles. 43,500 ... u mind sharing how much ur m3 cost u?

·
Registered
192 Posts
i think m3s have a like 6 year 100k mile warentee or something because of the exploading engines.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
all i can say is just make sure you have a warranty, and from BMW, not those other tard companies with bootleg warranties...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Moeser09 said:
The reason for that is, the glue they use is Germany is formulated for the cold weather. They have an adhesive they use for the BMW's built in the U.S. They just use that glue and it's cool.

·
Registered
338 Posts
there are no major problems, any car will have minor problems.. price of technology!

And no, 43.5 for '01 with a 6 speed is not a good deal.... that car should go for about 40K at the highest.... you could get an '02 with lower mileage and same options for that price. Look around and you will find a better deal.

I bought an '02 with 5K (steel grey:) and SMG for 44.5K... just to give you a ball park figure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot for the info guys.... timex.. geez you really got a good deal... was that from the dealer?? or a private seller? Also, my friend keeps telling me that the m3 is too expensive maintenance wise because it requires a specific oil ?? that is just a myth right? with the whole castrol thing? because it seems that everyone on this board uses mobil 1..

·
_-_
335 Posts
bimmer.namja said:
thanks alot for the info guys.... timex.. geez you really got a good deal... was that from the dealer?? or a private seller? Also, my friend keeps telling me that the m3 is too expensive maintenance wise because it requires a specific oil ?? that is just a myth right? with the whole castrol thing? because it seems that everyone on this board uses mobil 1..
you have to use Castrol TWS 10W60 oil.

$9/qt

Also figure in $1000/yr for tires

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
have to?? can someone verify this...? because there was a similar thread I believe, which said thats not true, mobil 1 is the better oil, also what people prefer, I dont think mobil 1 offers 10w60 ...i think 10w50 ??? or something along those lines..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bimmer.namja said:
have to?? can someone verify this...? because there was a similar thread I believe, which said thats not true, mobil 1 is the better oil, also what people prefer, I dont think mobil 1 offers 10w60 ...i think 10w50 ??? or something along those lines..
Stick with the Castrol it is better than Mobil 1 and required for the M motors. You're right though, there is one other oil that may be used if you cannot get the Castrol, cant remember which type. But why not go with the Castrol which says on the bottle that it is formulated for the BMW M engines?

·
Registered
62 Posts
bimmer.namja said:
Hey... also.. if you dont mind... how much did you get ur car for??
Not at all - got it earlier this year for $41k.

On the weather stripping - anonymous is right - it's a glue issue b/c Germany doesn't have the type of heat we do down in southern US.

As for the oil - I'm only going to use the 10w60 Castrol. If you're paying that much for a car already ... why take the chance of killing a $10k engine over $60-70 bucks worth of oil? Supposedly oil changes are suppossed to happen ~15,000 miles. I'm probably going to do them ever 7,500.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had my m3 since april. the only problem i've had is the rattling of my passenger side mid/bass speaker. other than that..it's been running smooooothly

·
Registered
214 Posts
miktrebla09 said:
I've had my m3 since april. the only problem i've had is the rattling of my passenger side mid/bass speaker. other than that..it's been running smooooothly
Man, what is it about the passenger side. Almost EVERYBODY has a problem w/ the passenger side speaker only. What gives?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts