E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I just bought my first BMW for dirt cheap, reason being the convertible top won't go up or down. I've played around with it for a while and here's what I've noticed. Electronic motors at front of top work fine. When I push the open top button, the electronic motors push it up about 2 inches and then the hydraulic motors whir but the top doesn't move. So at first I thought it might be the infamous plastic gear under the seat but that seams to be fine so I tore open my trunk and took the insulation of my hydraulic pump and behold, absolutely NO hydraulic fluid. Obviously I can go buy some more which I plan on doing this morning but I'm sure there's going to be a leak somewhere. My main question is, has anyone had experience with this and is there a good chance my hydraulic motor will be fried from trying to run without the fluid? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Alright so I just bought my first BMW for dirt cheap, reason being the convertible top won't go up or down. I've played around with it for a while and here's what I've noticed. Electronic motors at front of top work fine. When I push the open top button, the electronic motors push it up about 2 inches and then the hydraulic motors whir but the top doesn't move. So at first I thought it might be the infamous plastic gear under the seat but that seams to be fine so I tore open my trunk and took the insulation of my hydraulic pump and behold, absolutely NO hydraulic fluid. Obviously I can go buy some more which I plan on doing this morning but I'm sure there's going to be a leak somewhere. My main question is, has anyone had experience with this and is there a good chance my hydraulic motor will be fried from trying to run without the fluid? Thanks in advance!
click the link in my sig for the vert thread.... You may find a quicker answer there...

·
Registered
144 Posts
the thread in your sig for cabrios appears to be pretty useless. One thread for a host of cabrio specific questions? lol

Better to do an advanced search for your symptom, then go from there...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
the thread in your sig for cabrios appears to be pretty useless. One thread for a host of cabrio specific questions? lol

Better to do an advanced search for your symptom, then go from there...
and when he does that it will show him some posts that will take him to that thread.....:lmao::lmao::rofl::rofl::slap::read:

·
Registered
144 Posts
and when he does that it will show him some posts that will take him to that thread.....:lmao::lmao::rofl::rofl::slap::read:
Wait, so lemme get this straight.....

It's better to go into a 12+ page thread, read every post hoping to find someone with the same symptom and hope even more that someone actually posts an informative fix to that problem.... as opposed to going to the advanced search and searching for his specific symptom and going directly to the thread that will help him, regardless if it is in that particular thread or not.

wait.... how does that go again?

:lmao::lmao::rofl::rofl:

did I get that right?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Find a local indie shop that has the diagnostic software for the e46, and they can tell you what is wrong. The one-touch top is pretty complicated, and your issue could be anything from a bad sensor to a pinched wire.

You may need to suck it up and pay the dealer for a diagnosis/repair.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Lol....yup..its car specific. He may find a lot he doesn't know in there. But u have an E30 so u wouldn't know much about a 330 vert. But wait. You did inherit a mtech 330 thru marriage. . Is ur wifes car faster than urs??...LOL. Is that why u have ur hostilistic thinking?.. I can understand why u got banned from another forum before. And now ur here to continue. Lol.. Don't worry I'm not mad... Ur funny.. Keep me laugh'n.... Please...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lol....yup..its car specific. He may find a lot he doesn't know in there. But u have an E30 so u wouldn't know much about a 330 vert. But wait. You did inherit a mtech 330 thru marriage. . Is ur wifes car faster than urs??...LOL. Is that why u have ur hostilistic thinking?.. I can understand why u got banned from another forum before. And now ur here to continue. Lol.. Don't worry I'm not mad... Ur funny.. Keep me laugh'n.... Please...

actually, you have me laughing pretty hard. lol

your idea to just read through the post is comical. If you fail to see that, it's not my problem.

Is my wife's car faster than mine? Actually, that depends on who is driving them.

And for the record, the simple fact that I inherited her E46 via out marriage in no way gives you enough information to think I have never owned one and let alone have only owned my E30. I have likely owned more BMW's alone that you have number of cars you have owned in your lifetime. :rolleyes:

You obviously do not know me, know what I know, or know what I am about. I am not the typical "newb" with a low post count.

So go ahead and get off your high horse. It's making you look like a fool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Lol.....so ur wifes car IS faster than urs...and I guess she IS ur better half...or actually owns the faster halves of the inherited cars. .lol..I can't say I feel ur pain.. But I do find humor in it...lol... U can always swap that motor out of that e30. Because its still a good lookin car... Especially urs. Ur wife can see all the detail as ur flying by...lol...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lol.....so ur wifes car IS faster than urs...and I guess she IS ur better half...or actually owns the faster halves of the inherited cars. .lol..I can't say I feel ur pain.. But I do find humor in it...lol... U can always swap that motor out of that e30. Because its still a good lookin car... Especially urs. Ur wife can see all the detail as ur flying by...lol...
The amount you assume about me is mind blowing. lol

Now, do the cabrio owners in this community some good and instead of trying to reach (way out there, too, might I add) for some humor at my expense and go vote for a cabrio specific sub forum.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=831871

I am sure it's been asked before, but as they say... the squeaky wheel gets the oil. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Lol... Not reaching for anything @ ur expense. Ur life is what it is. I just wanted confirmation whether ur wifes car was faster than urs and you confirmed it...also this....:brent2: .. so my questions are done.... for now

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lol... Not reaching for anything @ ur expense. Ur life is what it is. I just wanted confirmation whether ur wifes car was faster than urs and you confirmed it...also this....:brent2: .. so my questions are done.... for now
The simply fact that you had to ask if an E30 325i was slower than an E46 330i says a lot about your actual product knowledge.

I think you just made the first cut of member to double check any advise that may come from them for actual truth and fact behind their replies.

In addition, your over use of emoticons in place of actual wit also has labeled you an easy target. Not rally worth my time.

That said, it's kinda slow at work right now. I am rather enjoying you dig your own hole even that much deeper with each post.

If you do not mind, I want to try your approach at this emoticon thing.

does this one work good for you?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Lol... I didn't have to ask. I already knew. I just wanted you to say it. Lol
That does not make any sense.

:thumbsup::excited::excited::argue::argue::hi::hi::woot::woot::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::clap::clap::clap::(:blah::blah::blah::eeps::eeps::eeps:

·
Registered
144 Posts
It does... I didn't know whether or not ur e30 was modded or not but now I know..... Its not..lol
So it's not good enough for you to be without mods?

·
Registered
144 Posts
oh, I forgot to add the "lol" as well as....

:facepalm::facepalm::tsk::tsk::rofl::clap::clap::bump::bump::bump:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Doesn't have to be good enuff for me. I just wanted to know if it was faster than ur wifes car or not. I have my answer...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Doesn't have to be good enuff for me. I just wanted to know if it was faster than ur wifes car or not. I have my answer...LOL
I fixed that for ya.

I also still fail to find the humor, let alone the point you are trying to make. Exchanging posts with you seems very similar to having an "I know you are but what am I" exchange with Pee Wee Herman.

:werd::wtf::wtf::wtf::b::b::drama::drama::drama::idhitit::chase::chase::luv::luv::nyah::nyah::nyah::brent2::brent2::bday::bday::dennis::dennis::dennis::dennis::smokin::smokin::smokin::eek:mg:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hmmm.... funny thing is... you were the one that answered a post that I directed toward someone else so I guess you are playing the part of pee wee herman. So that was you in the movie theater that got caught :jack: 'n off to snow white or was it to one of the seven dwarfs.:shhh:.:yikes:...funny how you claim ur wifes car in ur profile... why didnt she join e46fanatics?? Seems like she knew what car to buy to have as her own...:facepalm::lmao::lmao:....but if thats her in that pic you posted:dennis: than maybe your car is faster with her in hers...way to go...Git r done...lol...:thumbsup: But hey, if you're content with 121hp then its all good....You can turn it into a Ice cream car... the kids can chase you down the block to buy ice cream and always catch up... major sales that way... you'd make a fortune. Then you'd be:str8pimpi or you can deliver newspapers and you'd never speed pass a house. You could be employee of the month 12 months straight!!!!!!.... its up to you tho... or you can take your wifes car and front like you probably do on the regular....:lmao:... You just shoulda traded in that donkey in for a horse....:idea:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts