BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving my car (I have the hard-top on). I was thinking what would happen if I would roll over. Normally with the softtop or in a convertible situation the roll-bars would pop out of the back headrests. But now my hardtop is on are these disabled? Or do you think they still work.

What I found really cool is that the buttons for roof up or roof down aren't working anymore (not even the led-indicators). So by putting the hardtop on the softtop electronics are not working anymore.

So will the roll-bars pop or not?:dunno: :dunno:

·
Still around...
1,779 Posts
i think they (bmw) must build some kind of strength into our hardtops, for just this reason. All the rear headrest would do now in a roll over, is bust out the window, and cause more problems by f*cking up the hardtop... thats my guess :dunno:

·
booo for body roll.
3,406 Posts
didn't somebody say the hardtops only weighed 70lbs? that doesn't seem like much if the car is rolled over.. only 70lbs supporting a 3000lbs car?

·
Still around...
1,779 Posts
jun14scr said:
didn't somebody say the hardtops only weighed 70lbs? that doesn't seem like much if the car is rolled over.. only 70lbs supporting a 3000lbs car?
yeah its about that... if you "knock" on it, its got a very tinny sound to it.. dunno, maybe bmw built in in a way to provide safety in a roll-over.. id think there has to be some kind of code they have to live up to with drop tops?

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
Stop thinkign too much before you hurt yourself

Seriously thoguh, I'm sure BMW thought of this there woudl be a huge lawsuit if someone died becuaet they didnt :dunno:

·
Registered
966 Posts
A steel roof even, has a hard time supporting the weight of a car in a rollover situation. If we're talking about a graceful 10mph rollover, then perhaps the hardtop alone would be able to save you. But if you flip the car at speed, a) an aluminum roof would most <i>definitely</i> not support the impact energy of the car landing straight down on it, and b) the roof would most likely contact the ground before that, shearing it off of its supports and getting rid of any protection it could have provided. Aluminum doesn't resist impact, it absorbs it. So to answer your question, I am 99% sure that the rollover bars would deploy. They are made of steel and are very well integrated with the car's frame. As for the rear window, well, your hardtop is toast either way in a rollover.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all very interesting.. I would think they still would pop out, just for extra safety..

Let's see if there are more replies. Maybe someone knows the exact answer!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can't believe I'm resurrecting a 4-year old thread, but...

Haven't rear vert headrests deployed in non-rollover situations (just max wheel travel)? Perhaps nobody here has rolled a vert or popped the rollbars with hardtop in place, just thought I'd bring it up again.

Yes, ideally it would just blow the window in a non-rollover situation, but in an actual rollover, I hope to hell they would deploy as a hardtop would be toast afterwards either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts