BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know two simple things. Average cost in maintaining the car and avg mpg. I'm either going with an e46 M3 or the 03/04 Cobra. I appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
$0 maintenance cost to 50,000 miles. DIY after that is the same as any other high performace car.

23mpg average normal driving.
28mpg from Key Largo to Palm Beach 70mph steady.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately the cars price that I am looking for is the 01-03 and they all have more then 50k miles. So changing the oil is not a pita? I really don't know what the car looks like deep under the hood. I heard that M3's use a different oil? How much is actually spent on maintaining the car? I am a driver that enjoys driving the car. I will track the car as well, open track not 1/4. How much do tires cost, least to most expensive? When would you change your spark plugs? The gas mileage looks great to me. My 01 cobra was getting a little less then 16 mpg, however it was fun.

·
Banned
103 Posts
my 03 has 24k miles. My friend has the 03 cobra with a kb blower. He can pretty much eat everything on the streets. I love the sound of that kb whine. The M3 is going to cost you for minor repairs. I was quoted 425.00 just to get my weather strip replaced which is a defect. It all boils down what you want in a car. As far as power/speed with bigger fuel injectors, kb blower, and no cats can get you about 750 to the crank with the right tune. Total cost about 7k and on a m3 to see those numbers you will have to spend about 20k. The M3 is balanced. Luxury and sporty. Here is a few clips of my friend's cobra. Buy the corba dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoBZ3PwSRXc

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whoa too many questions, and most can searched.

Changing oil is not a pita. Theres an undercover for the engine you need to take out then the oil plug. You're planning to buy one and you haven't checked one out yet? Wtf.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If maintenance is a concern, just get the Mustang. While the price of the M3 is dropping, the replacement parts are not. Purchasing the car is only half of the battle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoa too many questions, and most can searched.

Changing oil is not a pita. Theres an undercover for the engine you need to take out then the oil plug. You're planning to buy one and you haven't checked one out yet? Wtf.

I have ridden in one and seen many but I have not probed the owner of these type of questions. I mostly spoke with people at the track about performance and thats it. I am considering these cars. Not planning a purchase yet.

Thanks for the replies so far. Exaclty what I am looking for. Thanks!

·
Banned
103 Posts
Cobra dude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats your cobra?? Damn that is a beast. KB all the way!!! Well I am considering a change. I have had a 94 5.0 mustang and my recent car was the 01 cobra, which was great. However I have always been considering going with a euro. I know the cobra will cost me an arm and a leg for gas but usual fixs on the M3 could cost me more at a time. So I am doing my research and trying to come to a decision with which I will be happy with.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have owned an 03 and and 02 M3's...both had the same gas mileage. In town about 16-18mpg...highway about 24mpg.

You are comparing 2 cars that are COMPLETELY different. If you have to decide between ONLY one...it would depend on comfort and "speed" factor.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have owned an 03 and and 02 M3's...both had the same gas mileage. In town about 16-18mpg...highway about 24mpg.

You are comparing 2 cars that are COMPLETELY different. If you have to decide between ONLY one...it would depend on comfort and "speed" factor.
agreed. I dont know how that guy is getting 23mpg mixed. Must be mostly highway because that is high. Best I get in town is 21 which is what the car indicated but when I actually fill up it is closer to 19. Not bad considering the car is rated at 16.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well what I am most worried about is how much the M3 can end up costing me (I'm not talking about "oh well the engine could blow up" I do mean the more common probems). I know the cobra is pretty reliable, only a couple problems with the fan and alt. Other then that I know the gas will be the biggest expense. What can I expect out of the M3?

Thanks to everyone for being mature on the subject of comparing the mustang to an M3, I wasn't so lucky on another forum.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
ive had my M3 for almost 2 years not that long..only thing that has gone bad is lets see...fuel pump,altinator,U joints and thats it which i have payed a grand total of $0 because of the warrenty that is probly now gone due to my mods that i recently got lol...but cobras are sick and if you want easy power then go cobra..obviously a cobra wont be as good a quality as the M3 but still if something does break then its cheap to fix..M3 parts are expensive! its a stock 4.5 0-60 car for like 20Gs thats not bad at all...i LOVE my M3 and would never go with anything else but again thats your choice.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I get around 23.5mpg mixed and have seen a high of 35mpg on the freeway, cruise control, 80mph. Even towing my tire trailer I get over 25mpg on the freeway at 85mph.

No real maintenance costs on my M3 yet, had the alternator replaced recently under warranty. Parts for the car aren't that expensive if you shop online, working on the car is very easy.

Course in comparison to the mustang, parts will be quite a bit more expensive.

Different cars, buy the one you like more.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
its really a question of if you want something cheap in terms of maintenance or not, any bmw will cost you and arm and leg to maintain out of warranty, to me personally its worth it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts