E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much did your speeding and acceleration change? I heard theres a HUGE performance drop is this really true. I have a 323 so anyone with that model or a 325 your opinions really matter. I dont want my car to feel like a honda civic :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Im going from 205/55/16 to 235/35/19. The diameter is supposed to be almost the same but my new rims and tires weight 50lbs and my old rims and tires weight about 30 lbs. How bad will I be affected?

·
Alpha Male
5,840 Posts
spubar said:
Well Im going from 205/55/16 to 235/35/19. The diameter is supposed to be almost the same but my new rims and tires weight 50lbs and my old rims and tires weight about 30 lbs. How bad will I be affected?
20 LBs is quite a difference but I don't think it will be too dramatic but it will be noticable.

I've had 225/50/16, 205/60/15, 235/40/18 and 235/35/19 on my car and each size had it's own acceleration and handling characteristics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I read somewhere that for each pound of unsprung weight that increases - its equal to 10 pounds of sprung weight. So if your wheels are changing 20 lbs all the way around its like carrying 800 extra pounds (200 on each corner) in your car or trunk. This is just what I have heard.

From personal experience, I had Brabus 19's on my E55 and they weighed in at 33 lbs- I then dropped them and got BBS LM's at about 25 lbs. This 8 lb per wheel difference was definitely felt, especially during launches. IMO 20 lbs of unsprung weight at each corner is huge!!!

·
Alpha Male
5,840 Posts
VicM5 said:
I read somewhere that for each pound of unsprung weight that increases - its equal to 10 pounds of sprung weight. So if your wheels are changing 20 lbs all the way around its like carrying 800 extra pounds (200 on each corner) in your car or trunk. This is just what I have heard.

From personal experience, I had Brabus 19's on my E55 and they weighed in at 33 lbs- I then dropped them and got BBS LM's at about 25 lbs. This 8 lb per wheel difference was definitely felt, especially during launches. IMO 20 lbs of unsprung weight at each corner is huge!!!
I think you mean rotational mass (unless they are the same thing :dunno: But yes I've heard the same thing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
i have a 323ci with 19's- Breyton Vision...9 in the front and 10 in the rear, 235/35 and 265/30. yes there is a noticeable difference. not so much at lower speeds but definitely at higher speeds. i didn't notice it as much when i put them on but when i went to 18x8.5 all around for winter my car felt like it was about 500lbs lighter at speeds over 60 or 70. still i don't care...the 19's look great and the trade-off is worth it imo...of course stage 2 dinan and cai don't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.