E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea i know it is my first post..I am new to this forum but not forums in general....will do the new member introduction later....

Car is 2002 bmw 330ci sprt pckg 91,xxx miles 5spd manual mostly stock that i know of. My first BMW...love it

I bought the car from a dealer in Houston Texas about 6 months ago and these are the thing i have done since i have had it (thanks to this awesome forum :thumbsup:)

oil (oem from tischer) and filter change, air and cabin filter,sparks plugs (oem from tischer), ecs level 2 cooling system refresh kit with aluminum water pump pulley, vanos seals and rattle kit (from beisan), and drivers side window rattle fix(first thing i fixed haha)

Alright so I'm thinking the previous owner put in either a lightened flywheel or aftermarket clutch cause i have a rattle only when i am at idle in neutral but if i either press the clutch pedal in or move the shifter towards any gear (without touching the clutch) the rattle completely stops(and from reading on hear it sounds like lightened flywheel) the only thing is that it does not really look to me like it revs like a lightened flywheel (that is where you guys come in) i made a video of the rattle and me reving the car (with the a/c on....just saying) oh and rattle gets a lot worse when i turn on the a/c....i also think i might have a short shifter (made a video)

I have checked all the obvious things from searching on here like the disa, mounts, etc...just throwing that out there cause i know someone is going to say that $hit

just want to see if you guys think it just sounds like lightened flywheel or aftermarket clutch rattle.....i am hoping it is lightened flywheel cause i will just live with the rattle then:D....and just wondering if yall think this is a short shifter...if it is i wish they would have went ahead and put in the uuc dssr

thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_wUaEz4jOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdvCqteHB1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OaxMlMYKlY

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I don't think the rattle is from the flywheel.
Definitely a short shifter; worn out bushings, but short shifter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an ebay F1 stage 2 clutch kit with light flywheel. My car flywheel sounds like that at times. Mostly after a spirited drive or sitting in stop and go traffic when the clutch is disengage and pedal out... Pushing the pedal in makes the sound/chatter go away. Its done it since as far as i can remember. I have about 15K on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an ebay F1 stage 2 clutch kit with light flywheel. My car flywheel sounds like that at times. Mostly after a spirited drive or sitting in stop and go traffic when the clutch is disengage and pedal out... Pushing the pedal in makes the sound/chatter go away. Its done it since as far as i can remember. I have about 15K on it.

yea i forgot to mention that mine does not do it when the car is cold...only after it gets warmed up and i also checked the fluid and it is good

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yep short shifter for sure. Sounds like a lightened flywheel also. you really need new bushings for your shifter: way too much play.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. I figured it was a short shifter. Just wanted to know for sure ha. I also figured the bushing were $hit but if it wasn't a short shifter I was going to order one and new bushings at the same time. Guess I will get on ordering that bushing super kit from pelican parts

Sent from my A854 using Bimmer App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts