BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious.. but does anyone know if the OEM navigation can be modified to watch DVDs on it ?

example:

installing DVD player and simply display the video on the OEM screen..

if so, how much work is required for the process?

just curious as to why no one has done this..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no.. just to be able to watch DVD on the OEM navigation unit as oppose to have to swap out the head unit.. i really don't like aftermarket head units

·
1,488 Posts
TheFallen said:
no.. just to be able to watch DVD on the OEM navigation unit as oppose to have to swap out the head unit.. i really don't like aftermarket head units

yeah, NAV-TV.........

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if this exist, why do ppl go aftermarket ?

would this be such a easier and a "cleaner" interior mod ?

personally, i don't like to have a head unit that flashes neon lights @ me when i drive @ night... and i don't like having my air condition air flow blocked by a screen...

is there any FLAWS to this kit ?

cuz i'm definately getting this kit for my new car next year.. might it be an M3 or a M-roadster(if they make one Z4 style)

·
Registered
160 Posts
TheFallen said:

personally, i don't like to have a head unit that flashes neon lights @ me when i drive @ night... and i don't like having my air condition air flow blocked by a screen...

cuz i'm definately getting this kit for my new car next year.. might it be an M3 or a M-roadster(if they make one Z4 style)
i think, the aftermarket screens have better pixels...again, i think.

i was actually thinking about doing this as well, but also wanted to know if there was any flaws to this kit.

please keep us updated if you do decide to go ahead with this cool mod.

·
1,488 Posts
TheFallen said:

good luck, let us know how it goes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
THe NAv-Tv kit is a great package but a rip off. Unfortunately it will only get more expensive. If you go on Ebay you may find some of these nav-tv kits for $1k flat instead of $1300. Oh yeah and the audio is in Mono. Unless you tap inot the aux input.

The best thing about it is that it uses BMW parts-Video module, and harness and actually adds an option on your screen for television.

You can also buy a separate TV tuner/with inputs and tap into the wires on the Nav harness. You put a switch on the signal wire and when you want to watch a movie, flip the switch and the screen goes to the input. No menu selection like Nav tv, but this method will cost you about $400, instead of $1300. And you get to keep your headunit. Stealth install. The audio comes from an FM signal though.

If you do searches on ebay for "tv on nav" or "nav tv" , there is a person on there who sells these kits pretty cheap and gives you excellent directions.

Good luck and keep us informed.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
How is the quality with Nav-TV? I can't imagine that screen having the best quality to watch movies with. If the quality is half-way decent it may be worth the purchase though, no way I'm swapping out the stock nav unit.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I use to have it in my other 330i with widescreen nav. The quality is excellent. I can't imagine needing any better picture quality in your car. It looks and sounds perfect.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
GeoMystic said:
I use to have it in my other 330i with widescreen nav. The quality is excellent. I can't imagine needing any better picture quality in your car. It looks and sounds perfect.
Wow, that's reassuring. The NAV-TV company is right in our area too, right? Around Brooklyn I think, the convenience factor is great.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your input guys..

ya.. the biggest reason for considering this is exactly how misshift puts it.. id' never remove the OEM head unit simply because it just looks like it's SUPPOSE to be there.... i personally dont' dig the rice boy flip out screen look.. but that's personal preference.

From what i've researched, the kit is suppose to be one of the easiest and most professional "kit" out there compared to some of the other "stealth" ways to do the installation. It will modify existing bmw software that allows u to select auxilary outputs right from the navi main menu(can't get anymore OEM than this!)... however, i have heard people complain that the OEM screen is crap compare to some of the aftermarket screens that are in the market today.

I guess it's a trade off... OEM look vs aftermarket look... mediocre display vs high quality display, integrated screen vs flip out screen... I definately will be highly considering this mod when i pickup my new car next year.. but def. be keeping an eye out for a replacement screen that will fix the quality issue of the display unit..

if anyone has had the Nav-TV kit, please let us know how that came out..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a 2004 325xi with the DVD-based NAV system. Anybody know what would happen if you put a movie dvd into the NAV dvd player? I'm pretty sure it would screw things up, but I really don't understand why you can't play movies right though my screen. It sure would be awesome, because the screen quality is outstanding.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
reason why is because the "player" in which the DVD nav unit uses is for data reading purposes. It will read the nav DVD for navigation information and display it to the screen. It is not designed to decode videos.. and hence you can't play a DVD on your oem dvd navi. However, it seems that with the Nav-TV unit, it will create an auxillary input somewhere in your trunk to allow u to mount a DVD player, TV tuner, PS2 or whatever, and have the ability to choose that input via the main menu..

perhaps you can be our guini pig and try it ? j/k = p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts