BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, i don't have an m3. i have a lexus gs400. but recently on the lexus forum we are talking about how fast the m3 is and i said that smg is faster than the 6 speed coz' it's basically a computer over a 6 speed and it shifts fast like hell. can someone tell me more, or give me more information to convince other people? or i am wrong?

here are some of the posts in that thread in case you guys want some reference:

- thought that the SMG was faster than the manual. Doesn't SMG technology theoretically shift faster than humanly possible?

- I think the stock manual and the SMG equipped M3s are about the same. The SMG shifts faster but has a higher drivetrain loss due to the hydraulic actuated clutch. So SMG equipped M3s put down less whp than the stock manual tranny equipped ones do.

- umm...... dunno, all the reviews and tech info i have read, the smg is just like the stick shift with a computer on top to control the shifting, it's nothing like our gs4 with eshift, it's a manual. and yes it shifts fast like hell, no human can match. and i strongly believe smg is faster than manual m3. go to bimmer forum and ask, they all agree

- was about to reply but rominl beat me to it. Drivetrain HP loss due to the SMG is NOT the reason the SMG is slower because there is no such thing - besides, we are only talking a .1 - .2 second difference which is due to driving technique. It has to do with how you dump the clutch in 1st gear to get that first push and you can do it easier with a manual and the SMG has no clutch pedal. Theoretically, if you get good at the SMG, you can do the same thing as with a manual and get the same times. It would be best if folks went to an M3 forum to gather info before making a statement. It can be misleading...

i would definitely like to learn all i can. thanks guys. please, no flames please. i personally love the m3 :)

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
SMG is definitely a better system on the race track. Anybody who's tried it knows that making a smooth, accurate shift while going through a tight corner under heavy g-forces can be very difficult. SMG just requires a flick of a paddle lever, and the shift is done with speed and precision, allowing the driver to worry about the track. There's a reason why F1 cars use sequential gearboxes.

In a straight line, it's debatable. From what I understand, a well driven 6 speed M3 will generally post better straight acceleration times than the SMG counterpart. My suspicion is that the the 6 speed allows a much greater level of control and flexibility when launching the car, which is one of the principle advantages of a manual trans over a traditional automatic (or SMG in this case, which can't normally be launched...there is a special launch control mode, but this can void your warranty...not sure how effective it is in the 0-60 and 1/4 sprints). I'm sure there are some 6 speed or SMG M3 guys here who have raced against one another and can tell you more than I can. Weight might also be a factor, although I'm not sure, off the top of my head, how much weight the SMG system adds (if any).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I think you make a decent argument, but smg is slower. I think one of the biggest reasons is weight. I also don't own an M3, but I am pretty sure I am barking up the correct tree. Weight hurts just about everything, including my knee!

DJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts