BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have seen several BMW 3 series around town and find that some that have Xenon's are alot more purpule looking than others? Are all the Xenon's that come on the 3 series the same? I have noticed that the M3's are very purple and flicker alot! Also, what is the deal with the pre-facelifted lights? What is the difference and if I have a 2000 323Ci is it pre-facelifted? or not? Please help I am intersted in getting a set and want the ones that are very purple/blue! Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
It depends on the temperature that they run at. I believe the Xenons that are put in newer BMWs run at a higher temp, giving them more of a clear/white look while the older ones run at a lower temp giving them more of a blue look. I like the blue look also. And 2000 is pre-facelift.

·
Registered
702 Posts
facelift is::thumbdwn:
new lights around, hood, fog light location, upswept front turn signals, higher side blinker. Creates a totlly different effect

·
ninja edit
134 Posts
all the oem h.i.d lights have the same bulbs put into them or around there. They are around 4100k to 4300k. The looks of purple or blue coming from the lights is because of the housing of the lights.

Will- :thumbup:

·
Mod Squad
12,558 Posts
You don't need to get a different light housing. I believe Willha418
means that it's an effect the light housings cause, not the housings themselves. I don't know if that made anymore sense.

Any way to change the light output of your Xenons you change the bulbs in there. Dependant on the color temperature of the bulb your light output will appear more blue, purple or whatever. Check out this thread for a bit more detail.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75997

·
Registered
726 Posts
the new lights do really look purple from oncoming traffic.....it may have depended on the angle you saw the xenons that they looked bluer/purpler/flickery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts