BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy some audio equipment but have a question about what I should do.

I am looking to do a nice clean install my self and not go crazy with equipment, adding weight and tons of power.

I am thinking about 2- 10w7 subs with 1- 500/1 amp
I was told I should get 2 amps (500/1)
but can't I just take the 2 subs and wire them both together to get 1.5 ohms and just use the one amp according to jl the amps are stable at 1.5

I know they run hotter and stuff but it just to add some quality bass.

I am trying to make just a small box that takes up 1/2 the trunk and just want to make a motorized amp rack with a 500/1 and 300/4 for fronts and rear.

does this sound about right.

also I am planning on firing them forward towards the drive
with the factory subs removed and the ski bag removed
you think this will be the way to go.

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,271 Posts
Get two amps. Even if you wire it at 1.5 ohms you are not getting 1000 watts. w7's are very inefficient subs and need power. I find that w7's sound better with a bigger box. They are more accurate and cleaner. All up to you though. Talk to a good installer. They should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by the way I am looking to do a sealed encloser thats 1.25 cu per chamber

and using my nav as the head unit and taping into the wires in the truck coming from the factory subs.

and the back or front of the sub box will be plexiglass 1/2"
and the rest 3/4 partical board. or what ever you call that wood.

if I do go for the 2- 500/1 you think I will need to do anything with my factory battery and do you think the alternator is fine for that. I don't want to go to crazy I am really only doing this because everything I need is in the trunk and I dont have to rip the inside of my car apart. I am putting a 1.5 farad cap with the amps also.

any suggestions would be great or comments.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts