BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So right now i'm running a ground control kit. My front springs from what i've measured is a 6" tall spring at 525lbs.

If i wanted to drop down to a 5" spring or 5.5", to keep the same 'ride quality' (for the lack of a better term) would i have to go higher in spring rate? or can i use the same spring rate?

The reason why i ask this is because, i want a tad bit lower(i know, call me a fool), and i'm already totally dropped on the front adjuster. I know technically, i can get thinner camber plates, but the price of two springs is a lot cheaper.

FYI- i do not plan to drop the car, an extra inch, i would just be raising the adjuster up, to compensate for the shorter spring.

-Raj

p/s... correct forum? i can't tell, since this is based off more of a performance question, i posted in here rather than suspension. move if needed.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Changing the spring height won't have anything to do with the spring rate. There are a few things to consider:
1. If the spring is too short, you can run into spring bind when you hit a bump. The spring rate goes to infinity and this can be rough on your strut towers. Plus, it becomes dangerous as the car will handle terrible.
2. If the car is too low, the strut could run out of travel when you hit a bump. If this happens, you can either damage the front strut, the spring rate goes to infinity (no more travel) or the internal valving in the shock can break (the internal valving hits the bottom of the shock). Also, the risk of bending a wheel goes up.

It's up to you. I would advise against anything shorter than 5.5" for a straight wound spring (as opposed to a beehive wound spring). With the weight of a street car and knowing that the chance of being able to drive on the street without ever hitting a pothole or whatever else that happens to be in the road.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
okay, thanks!

exactly what the answer i was looking for.

hmm now to find a 60mm 5.5" spring at 625lbs. lol. can't find themmmm....

***EDIT*

i just had a though, if i was to ride a shorter spring, say 5.5-5" even at the same ride hieght, would that tend to bind more-so than a taller spring? it would right? sorry, i'm just trying to get a good understanding.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts